XXVIII

My Christmas List: December 11th
Just let Armani be okay.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

It felt like I had practically been swallowed up whole by the earth. My heart had managed to drop to my stomach, and my stomach managed to drop—well, god knows where.

Suddenly nothing mattered anymore.

Not my condescending sister, not Heidi, not my complicated unspoken feelings, not work—not even life itself.

I could be taking my last breath of air, falling deeply into the arms of death, and still, I would only be thinking Armani. Something bad has happened to Armani.

I didn't know what these feelings meant, and I didn't care.

There was only one thing—one person on my mind. Armani.

"Where is she? Where is everyone? What happened to her? Is she okay?" the questions spewed out of my mouth, my anxiousness, fueling my thoughts completely.

It was actually insane how quickly my thoughts switched—or how quickly my mood switched.

I had never even considered that this would be the explanation behind Armani's absence.

Emilia frowned, taking in my state. "All I know is everyone is on level five of UG. That's where all the mafia-related conference rooms are," she said, her words sticking together with fear. If she was scared then I knew I had a reason to be too. "I haven't heard back from Domi since earlier this morning."

My heart which had previously managed to drop to my stomach was now racing in my tight chest. This morning? She hasn't heard any updates since this fucking morning?

Oh my god.

"I'm sure everything's fine—I'm sure she's fine," Emilia said, but her tone sounded unsettled, almost like she was hoping it rather than stating it.

I shook my head, suddenly air was nonexistent, but I knew that I needed to keep it together. Especially if I wanted to make it down to the Underground to find out more—and hopefully, just hopefully see Armani safe and sound.

Emilia reached into her back pocket, "Here take my card," she said, handing me the matte black key card. "I'll inform the guards that you're in possession of it so you can access the UG," she said, as I took the thin card in my shaky hand. "Go to the elevators once you get through security on the UG and then go to level five—everyone should still be there."

I nodded, sending her a weak nod as if to say thank you.

I couldn't possibly get any words out right now if I tried, and Emilia seemingly made it clear that she knew that by sending a reassuring smile my way.

"I'm sure she's okay," she said as I hesitantly backed away toward the open door.

I wanted to say, Yeah I'm sure she is.

I wanted to imagine her usual smirk that would greet me once I made it down to the UG—maybe even her teasing me about being worried for her.

Instead, my mind was blank. I didn't want to expect Armani waiting for me, but I also didn't want to think about her being...

I shook my head at the mere direction of that thought, tapping my foot impatiently as I rode the elevator down to the level UG.