XXVI

My Christmas List: December 11th
Spare me from being so empathetic.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

Okay, maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe Heidi just doesn't feel well.

That's a logical explanation right?

Even if she does know it's not the end of the world—I mean our work environment would be awkward, but it was already like that for me.

Don't feel bad Mira. You should not feel bad.

Then again, Heidi had no awareness of me and Armani. From what I knew at least, which would probably make it harder for her to find out.

I've always naturally been an empathetic person, so it doesn't surprise me that I feel like this.

"I'm happy to know you're still the same," Olivia's amused voice flooded through my right ear that had my cold phone pressed to it.

I was on my lunch break when I felt the urge to talk to someone—anyone.

Then again, I couldn't vent to anyone here. I didn't want to compromise Armani in that way.

With that being said, I called my coworker turned best friend, knowing she'd at least distract me from my irritating thoughts.

"Look, it's not wrong to feel bad for her. Just don't get so caught up in sparing her feelings that you forget about your own," Olivia said, and I could hear her car engine turn over on the other end of the line. "Wait, you're going to connect to the bluetooth on my car, so if you say something I might not hear it."

I paused for a moment before saying, "Am I good now?"

"Yup," she answered, her doors automatically locking as she drove. I felt somewhat soothed after my talk with Olivia—she's right. I can feel bad for Heidi, but I also can't forget about myself and my own feelings. "You know, if they were meant to work out it would've happened way before you met Armani—you did say they were unofficial for two years, correct?"

"Yeah," I said, realizing yet again that Olivia was right. If Armani wanted anything more with Heidi she would've done so ages ago. I might've been a factor in this situation but only because Armani made me one.

Armani liked me—she had feelings for me.

My heart warmed at the thought as I grinned stupidly to myself. I knew the people passing by me in the quaint cafe located on level six would probably think I was psychotic.

Then again, for the first time that I had been here, level six was completely empty.

"So what are you eating for lunch?" Olivia asked, which immediately reminded me to pick up my fork and continue to eat my rigatoni. "I'm so jealous that you got a high paying assignment, which allows you to practically stay at a hotel and fall in love with a wealthy woman."

I snickered to myself, if only Olivia knew how this "wealthy woman" was even wealthy in the first place. I swear her eyes would bulge out of her head at the mere topic drop of a mafia. Let alone a very powerful global one.

Which leads me back to how this is all supposed to work out. What exactly lies ahead in my future if me and Armani decide that this is end game?