XVIII

My Christmas List: December 7th
Banish me from enduring awkward moments for the rest of my life.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

My head turned in the direction of the smooth voice, my eyes landing on Diana. Her dark hair was down and perfectly curled, framing her sharp face covered in subtle makeup. Her tan pantsuit was completely wrinkle free and it even exposed partial cleavage—I'd be lying if I said I didn't check her out.

Diana walked over to me as I stood from the booth.

"I've missed you dearly, Mira," Diana said, pulling me into a full hug. Her arms wrapped around my lower waist as her familiar bold perfume filled my nose. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her torso, realizing I missed her too. Or maybe it was the familiarity of it all.

My life hasn't really felt like my life recently.

Diana unraveled her arms from around my waist when Armani cleared her throat, clearly establishing her presence.

"Ms. Varese. How are you?" Diana asked as I turned to face the table, standing beside my boss. "I assume Miracle has been giving you good company? She always does."

Armani pursed her lips, analyzing Diana fully before nodding. "Yes, she's been quite the asset."

Diana looked at me, displaying her white teeth as she smiled down at me. "That she is," she said, pressing her hand against my lower waist, which easily diverted Armani's eyes.

I noticed Armani's jaw tense, and I couldn't tell if the action alone was due to Diana's overly friendly nature.

"And what's your name?" Diana asked, drawing Idalia's attention away from the kid's menu.

"Idalia, but my friends call me Dali," she said, looking between Diana and me. "Are you Mira's friend?"

Diana shrugged, glancing at me. "I'd say we're more than friends, right Mira?" she asked, her eyes briefly diverting to my lips and back up to my eyes.

I felt my face grow warm at her subtle actions, yet somehow I appreciated the feelings swirling within me. Feeling desired wasn't something I had been experiencing during my stay at Armani's. Then again, I wasn't supposed to. Armani was a client.

That's it.

"You guys kiss and hug?" Idalia asked, which easily made Diana laugh through her nose.

"Well..." Diana trailed off, tilting her head, and I easily noticed Armani's jaw tense further, her head tilting slightly.

Quickly, I said, "No-no, we're just closer than friends."

"But I'm your best friend Mira!" Idalia said, shaking her head.

I nodded quickly. "Yes, you are. Diana and I are just really good friends," I said, growing bored of this topic.

"Fine," Idalia said, glancing over at Diana. "Diana?"

Diana nodded. "Yes, it's nice to meet you, Idalia."

"It seems the food should be here soon," Armani said, hinting at Diana to take her leave.

Diana easily picked up on what Armani was insinuating, furrowing her brows slightly, but in the end nodding as she looked at me.

"I'll be in touch Mira," she said, placing a brief kiss on my cheek.

I nodded. "Stay safe and happy holidays Di."

Once she walked away, I slid back into the cushioned booth, joining Armani and Idalia once again.

I could tell the energy shifted with Armani and me by her jaw that refused to unclench and the cold unamused look coating her features. She didn't have any valid reason to be mad or upset with me in any way, not after her makeout session—or possibly more—with Heidi.