L

My Christmas List: December 21st
Please don't make me go back to Chicago.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

My time here in Italy felt absolutely surreal. From the incredible dinner Armani's Nonna made to the sunset swim that turned into a night swim. It was like I was living in a fairytale.

Except now, it's the next day, and I know we'll have to head back to Chicago soon.

I peered down beneath the rocks that Armani and I were seated on, taking in the waves crashing far beneath us.

"What are you thinking about?" Armani said, her arm draped over my shoulder as her hand caressed my bare arm in an up-and-down motion. It was calming.

Everything here was calming.

I shrugged, "Chicago."

Armani sighed, "I assumed so by that look on your face," she said, which made me turn to her curiously.

"What look?" I said, and Armani chuckled.

"The someone killed my puppy look."

I couldn't help but laugh, shaking my head. "I didn't realize that was a look."

"Me either until I saw it on your face," she said, her tone light and joking.

My smile soon slowly faded, staring back down at the roaring waves crashing against the rocky cliff. I hated that I allowed myself to get so comfortable here.

Armani sensing my distress pulled me closer to her. "Everything is going to be okay Mi—we can even come back and visit after the holidays."

I frowned, "But for how long? How long can you even be gone for?"

Armani sighed through her nose, "However long I want to be, but not when there's a growing threat back in Chicago," she said, and I felt my stomach sink, realizing we actually had to leave. "I don't want you anywhere near this threat, but my father instructed that we go on as usual—we can't alert the Strix in any way. They have to think we're oblivious, so we have to go back and continue our jobs."

I pursed my lips, realizing that the Christmas Eve Masquerade was in three days, which easily stressed me out. Suddenly, I remembered how many people would be attending, and how spot-on the interior design needs to be.

And on top of this, what happens when this is all over? Will I continue to stay with Armani? How will I work if I'm off thirty minutes from the city of Chicago? What will Armani and I's day-to-day look like? Will we even have time for one another?

"One thing I won't be budging on is security. There will be someone with you at all times, and that's not up for debate," Armani said, and I quickly recognized the familiar tone.

It's like Armani had sides to her, and right now I was witnessing her Mafia boss side. It was a certain strict tone that she used, the way her dark eyes hardened, or how she kept a slight brow raised to challenge you.

"I wasn't even going to argue with you, so you can go back to being you now," I said, turning my attention back to the glistening waves.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Armani said.

I kept my focus on the crashing water, "It means that you're acting like the leader of a mafia instead of just Armani—my Armani."

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw her lips twitch up into a smile. "Your Armani?" she said, insisting I explain.

"You act different around me, but when it comes to anything work—or should I say mafia-related, it's like you're a different person. It's not bad, but I definitely have a preference," I said, and Armani instantly scoffed, which I could tell wasn't at all serious.