XVII

My Christmas List: December 7th
Make Armani less rude.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

Three small knocks sounded at my door just as I finished applying my makeup. Internally, I prayed it wasn't Armani—someone who had been giving me mixed signals.

Or maybe I was allowing her to? Playing all these small encounters up in my head when really they were nothing.

"Mira!" Dalia cheered. Her caramel curls were pulled up into a high bun with a few hanging loose. She was wearing a red furry sweater with black leggings and furry black Uggs.

I bent down to her level, "Hi, Dali," I said, smiling as I pulled her into a hug.

The girl pulled away from the brief hug, analyzing my outfit. Her eyes trailed my tan long-sleeve dress down to my matching heels—and back up as she took in my hair that was pulled into a high ponytail.

"You're going to work?" she asked, realizing my attire. "I wanted to do more Christmas stuff," she pouted.

Yesterday, Idalia and I watched three Christmas movies back to back while eating cookies and drinking hot chocolate. While it was a promise I had made to her, it was also something I needed after seeing Armani and Heidi together so intimately.

I laughed. "We can after I finish up some work."

Idalia took a step away from me, crossing her arms over her chest. "No, I want to hang out with you now," she said, her small lip quivering into a frown.

I sighed, not feeling like I could say no to her, but also knowing I had work to get done. "I'll tell you what," I said, rising from my bent down stance. "You can come to work with me—"

"Really?!" Idalia asked, her excited tone breaking through her saddened exterior.

I chuckled at her instant mood switch. "Yes, but only if you behave and allow me to get some work done," I said, and Idalia instantly nodded a few times. "After I could take you to go see Christmas lights maybe?"

"Yes-Yes-Yes! You're the best Mira!" Idalia smiled, running toward me and hugging my legs.

I turned my head, feeling sets of eyes on me. And my intuition was proven correct. Dominico and Emilia were at the end of the hall, smiling slightly as they took in the scene.

I guided Idalia away from my legs and held her small hand, walking down the hall toward the couple.

"You owe me twenty," Emilia said, holding her hand out which made me furrow my brows. Sensing my confusion, she said, "I knew you couldn't say no to Dali. No one can."

I laughed as Dominico reached into his pocket to grab his phone, tapping a few times. "Transferred twenty to your account," he reluctantly sighed, shaking his head as he sipped his coffee.

"Can I have twenty?" Idalia asked, looking up at Dominico.

Dominico stared at the small girl for a moment, and I realized that Emilia was right. No one really can say no to her.

"Please papa? Mira and I are going to see the Christmas lights," Idalia said, poking her bottom lip out.

I laughed, "I can cover the expenses Dal—"

"Christmas lights?" A smooth voice interrupted walking into our line of sight.

I blinked a few times, adjusting to her intimidating presence. "Yeah...?" I said, but it came out as a question rather than a statement.

"Zia!" Idalia ran over to Armani, hugging her legs. "Isn't Mira the best?"

Armani pursed her lips slightly, her dark eyes tracing my face holding an unfamiliar emotion. It seemed like she was reluctant to say whatever she was planning on next. And it seemed her reluctance was valid, given that she next said,"I don't want you or Idalia leaving the premises."