XXXIV

My Christmas List: December 12th
Just let me make it through this quick trip with Armani's father.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

"So Mira, has Ani managed to involve you in any work other than event planning?" Alessandro asked. We were seated in the back of a black Cadillac Escalade driving toward the Chicago harbor.

I'm pretty sure I'm about to witness something very illegal happen.

"Uh, no she hasn't," I said, feeling weirdly ashamed that she hadn't. Something told me that Alessandro would be thoroughly impressed if she had.

Alessandro nodded, adjusting the collar of his matte black button-down shirt. "I expected so," he said. "Hopefully this is a push in the right direction."

What was that supposed to mean?

Am I supposed to be more involved with Armani's work? Keyword—Armani's work.

Not mine.

I'm beginning to feel slightly unprepared. Armani should've given me a better run-down of what exactly is expected from her parents, and where I fit in when it comes to her mafia.

Honestly, now that I think about it, that should've been one of the first conversations we had before I got introduced to her parents. Then again, the real introduction wasn't exactly planned.

As we began approaching the freight station by the large bay of water, I began to feel more and more nervous. But I refused to tap out before I even fully submerged myself in Armani's lifestyle.

But watching the people on forklifts move the colorful cargo containers only made my stomach twist more. What was inside those containers?

My attention snapped away from the window when I felt the car go into park—moments later, someone opened Alessandro's door, letting us both out. Even if one of us—us being me—didn't want to get out.

Alessandro's strides were long and his posture was tall, forcing me to match his body language completely.

Suddenly, I noticed a man approaching us—he was short with a slight beer belly—although he was dressed to the nines, wearing a full-on tan suit with his dark hair slicked back and his mustache outlined properly.

Even though the man flashed a friendly smile, something just didn't feel right.

"Ale! It's nice to finally see you again," the man greeted, shaking Alessandro's hand firmly.

Alessandro patted the man on the back, letting go of his small hand and saying, "You as well Ollie. This is—" he motioned to me, "—Miracle Cadiuex. My daughter's girlfriend."

I still couldn't quite grasp the new label. Girlfriend.

Every time it was said, it made my heart warm.

Apparently, Ollie's heart was far from warm, considering the way his eyes narrowed upon landing on me. "Girlfriend? Ale I thought we were clear of the deal with my daughter and—"

"We are-we are," Alessandro cut him short before he could continue.

Even with Alessandro cutting him off, I felt my brows unconsciously furrow.

What deal? And more importantly, is Armani aware of this deal?

Ollie took a bold step toward Alessandro, forcing my heart to strike down to my stomach.

Oh no.

"It's obvious that you aren't clear about it, besides, I thought Armani didn't date?" Ollie said, his jaw locking into a harsh clench. "And why is she even here? Involved in internal matters?"