XXXI

My Christmas List: December 12th
I don't need anything. Just Miracle.

❆❆❆❆❆❆
ARMANI'S POV

Miracle was quite literally the embodiment of her name. A miracle.

She came at such a perfect time—even if I was completely reluctant about it—I knew I wanted her.

And not just for sex or a casual fling.

No, I was well aware–almost instantaneously–that I wanted her in a much more intimate way.

I wanted to hold her as we fell asleep, and the next morning wake her up with soft playful kisses—ordering breakfast in bed and simply forgetting that I had mafia relations to handle. Later we would get dressed together, discussing something as natural as our plans for the day, before reluctantly splitting away and heading to work.

I wanted a life of normalcy—and Miracle was the only one who had handed that desire to me on a silver platter the moment she walked into my estate. Not even knowing my status or that I was the boss.

The funny thing about me is that I could have everything I have ever wanted in front of me—I could have her in front of me—yet I would still push myself away, still putting my honor and duty first.

But that... that was something instilled in me from the very get-go.

"The Varese Viper's will be the only thing backing you in the end—they will always be your family," said my father. "Putting even one thing in front of them would be the biggest mistake of your life."

I was five. Playing with my older brother's toys that he outgrew while my Father began to slowly integrate me into the mafia. It was his legacy, his way of life. Even to this day, after retiring from his role, he still manages to put the mafia first. To drop anything and everything when any sort of problem arose regarding the Viper's.

Which also explained why he and my mom flew out of Miami without another thought after hearing about my and Dominico's situation.

My mom was always so great at handling her role as a mafia wife. The role itself seemed harder than being the actual leader of the mafia.

She had to carry the weight of behaving like a leader—remaining unbiased, assisting with making sure things ran smoothly, participating in any appearances my father made, or even stepping in for my dad when he was so sick that he absolutely couldn't do any work—this wasn't even including her motherly roles, being my fathers support system, and also keeping up with her own job as a pediatrician.

Which in the end, she had to give up. But I guess that's what it took.

While I know Miracle could handle it—I wasn't so sure she'd willingly give up her job, and I couldn't blame her for not wanting to.

Growing up, I never imagined I'd find someone who'd choose to do what my mom did, which was the main reason why I never tried to look for 'the right person' or let 'the right person' look for me.

I kind of always imagined I was destined to be alone.

And while I always knew what role I had to fulfill, I never felt connected to it—like I was the one who belonged to do it.