XXI

My Christmas List: December 9th
Gift me with an unlimited supply of lighters for Christmas.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

"So what color were you thinking?" CeCe asked, tucking her red hair behind her ear as Idalia, Leo, and I looked at her computer screen.

We were all seated at an empty booth in one of the many restaurants on the sixth floor.

"Here I was thinking you guys would be wearing black," I joked, which earned a blank expression from CeCe.

Idalia set down the Christmas-themed hot chocolate she insisted on having with her lunch. "I say the white gown!"

Leo nodded. "I agree—it's versatile and you can dress it up."

"I think white would look really good on you too," I said, sticking my fork into my salad.

CeCe smiled playfully. "Aw you guys are so helpful," she said, smiling even more.

Leo rolled his eyes playfully. "Yet, all I'll be wearing is my usual black tux."

Idalia swallowed her hot chocolate. "I wonder what I'll wear," she said.

I chuckled at the whipped cream smeared on her face, "I'm sure your mom will pick out a beautiful gown for you," I said, grabbing a napkin and gently wiping her face clean.

Idalia smiled. "And what will you wear?"

I stayed silent, not exactly knowing what I would wear. Now that I was thinking about it... what exactly would I wear? I have nothing picked out and the ball is in three weeks.

Wait.

The ball is in three weeks... which means this will all be over. Armani, working alongside Heidi, hanging out with Idalia. It's all so bittersweet.

I cleared my throat, pushing the thick lump away. "I'm not quite sure, but I'll figure it out."

After having lunch with CeCe, Idalia, and Leo—I headed back to work with Heidi, which somehow diminished the bright mood that I built up. She wasn't mean or patronizing, but maybe that's what it was. She was extremely nice, and I wanted her to be mean.

I wanted a reason to dislike her, yet I have none. If anything I'm beginning to dislike myself for even wishing such a thing. It's embarrassing how insecure I am, but maybe that's my sister's fault.

"I can't believe you're graduating," Millicent said, adjusting my graduation gown. "Seriously, it's shocking that you made it through college."

I stared forward, sighing through my nose as I tried to tune out her negativity, but somehow I was never successful.

"Goodness, you could've at least tried to look good for the occasion Mir," Millicent said, shaking her head as she adjusted my hair to sit at the front of my shoulders. "Your makeup is... good enough I suppose."

I frowned, knowing I spent the last four hours getting ready, and for what? For Millicent to ultimately decide it wasn't up to her standards.

"And you could've done more with contour... your face is getting really chubby," she said, which easily made me look over into the mirror holding my reflection. Is my face really that chubby?

Maybe I could've done more with my contour.

"Really?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

Millicent nodded, reaching over to my vanity. "It's fine, I'll fix it Mir. You know I always got you."