V

My Christmas List: December 3rd
Please make my sister nicer by Christmas.

❆❆❆❆❆❆

The next morning, my sister was at my door with a steamed latte and a Christmas-themed croissant.

I sat at my large marbled kitchen island, while my sister stood across from me. Her dark hair was down and parted in the middle while she wore a navy blue dress with a tan trench coat.

"To what do I owe this surprise?" I asked, trying to make my voice not sound so strained. Millicent visited every month or so, but during December even her job was busy, so she wouldn't normally be able to make time to come see me—which deep down inside I was okay with.

"I figured I'd come surprise you Mira... mornings seem best due to both of our hectic schedules," she said. As you can imagine, meeting up for us was somewhat hard which is usually why Millicent would appear at my door on a random morning once a month. "I still can't quite understand how you could be busy. You'd think designing things wouldn't be that hard."

I swallowed my latte harshly, questioning if she had poisoned it. "I already told you it's not that simple Milli."

Millicent only laughed. "Maybe not for you, but you always seem to have to put in extra work compared to most people," she said. "But I applaud you for your persistence."

I wanted to roll my eyes, but I knew she wasn't worth getting irritated over. Normally Millicent didn't irritate me to this degree, but with the weight of this project and having to stay at Armani's compound while I complete it—I felt more on edge than usual.

"Don't tell me you're moving Mira," Millicent said, eyeing my suitcases. "Actually, maybe you should. As an interior designer, your place should be nicer than this. You deserve better."

I took a few deep breaths in and let them out. The topic of staying at Armani's was still incredibly sore, given my standoffish feelings toward it, but then, of course, Millicent had to shed her opinion on something that was completely off-topic and irrelevant.

"I'm staying at a client's house upon request until Christmas Eve," I said, swirling the latte cup in my hand.

Millicent raised a brow. "That's... a bit intimate don't you think?"

I forced out an awkward laugh. "I do think, but you try telling our highest paying client no."

"Well, you chose this career..." Millicent said. "And I still don't understand why."

I sighed through my nose, rising from the tall barstool. "I should probably head into the office. I have a few more preparations to secure before I head over to my client's house."

"I suppose I'll have to come over for our yearly Christmas festivities?" she said, grabbing her black Birkin. Millicent and I always dedicated a weekend every year to cookie decorating, watching Christmas movies, and taking Christmas photos for our parents to frame. "Will you be staying there on the weekends as well?"

I tilted my head, not necessarily knowing the answer to that. "I... yes I suppose so."

Millicent hummed, her heels clicking as she walked toward the front door. "I hope there will be enough room for me to stay the weekend."