Chapter 17: Destiny Settles

Start from the beginning

“It’s okay, we can work everything out tomorrow. It will be good for you.” Jeremy gave Janice a relax smile, which she returned, and placed his had around her shoulders. She started to feel warm, but not in a dizzy way. More of like a relaxing warm, did this even matter?

              A slow song began and some people from the dance floor sat down or went to grab a drink. Janice spotted Matt and Penny dancing on the opposite side of the gym. Janice smiled at them and felt a lonely pang in her heart. She wanted something like them, something real. Janice scanned the room to Jay’s receding back. She felt another thump. “Hey, you want to dance?” Janice looked up at Jeremy. 

“Sure.” Jeremy led her to the dance floor and stood them face-to-face. He put his hands her hips and she hesitated her fingers on his shoulders. They slowly swayed to the music that pulsed around them. Janice felt comfortable with Jeremy with her, but the spot where his hands stayed made her stomach clench. She didn’t like it.

But she thought liked Jeremy.

He was nice.

Sweet.

Understanding.

Hardworking.

All the things that Janice wanted.

But she didn’t want him

              If it wasn’t clear before, it was now. Jeremy wasn’t her soul mate. He wasn’t the one. Janice trusted God and her gut. 

              Janice pulled away from Jeremy once the song was over. She excused herself before he could ask what was wrong and escaped through the crowd. She didn’t know where she was going but it didn’t bother her. She just needed to be alone with her feelings to have a stern talk. The hallway she entered was empty. She followed it and went out through the garden doors. 

              Destiny works in weird ways. Some believe it and some don’t. Missionaries, or mostly Janice, believe that God planned out every life but with free choice we can decide to stay on His path or not. Janice was questioning if this was part of God’s plan.

              Jay was standing with his back towards the doors. His posture stiffened with the door opening. A line of smoke rose into the air. He smokes? Janice questioned in her head.

“I only smoke when I’m stressed.” Jay explained to Janice, probably seeing the look of disgust on her face as he turned around. He immediately put it out. They stood in silence. “So, where’s lover boy?”

 “He’s not my lover boy.” Janice said coldly.

 “Ooh! Struck a nerve. Something happen?” Jay replied calmly. He folded himself on a cement bench. She plunked herself on the bench without a word. 

“He didn’t do anything.” Janice stressed. 

“So what’s wrong?” She blinked at him. Boys are oblivious. 

“He didn’t do anything." 

“I heard you! If he didn’t do anything then why is he is deep shit?” Janice cringed at his language.

“I would appreciate if you would stop your foul language.”

“What? You don’t appreciate my swearing? Tough Jesus crap.”

“I am a strong believer in God and it would be kind of you to stop.” Janice spoke firmly. Jay shut his mouth. They held a silence.

“I’m sorry.” He replied quietly. 

“You’re forgiven.” She replied automatically. “Are you okay? You said you only smoke when you are stressed.” He stood up abruptly.

“I want to say everything is fine.” His voice was shaky.

 “Then tell me why it’s not.” Janice waited patiently for him to respond. She watched as he started to breath heavily. “Did you bring a date?” She asked.

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because.”

“Because why?” And suddenly he exploded. 

“Because!” He yelled as he turned to face her. “Because, because, because! Because of my sister! Because of my mom! Because of my job! Because of a monster my dad is! Because you!” He shouted and stalked closer. Janice reeled back, her?

Me?” She pointed at herself.

“Yes!” She was confused.

 “Why?” He blinked at her. She blinked back.

              He was on her in a matter of seconds. He fingers weaved through her hair and brought her mouth to his. His lips were hot on hers. She wrapped her arms around his neck and stood on the tips of her toes. His free arm cupped her cheek before wrapping around her waist to bring her closer to him. Their bodies were flush against each other. Janice wanted to stay like that forever. 

Jay pulled away first.

He dropped his arms and took a step away from her.

He ran.

(*_*) Oh hai. How have y'all been? Wow it's been like what? A month? SORRY! But I'm 16 now so I can bust up some betttcchhesssss. <3