Chapter 33

I could feel the man’s hot breath on my face. It couldn’t be the end, could it? I opened my eyes. It couldn’t be the end. He couldn’t kill me with a knife. He had to get my heart with a beam of light…or darkness. I was still frightened, but not as much. The fear dissolved even more when I heard voices approaching. I watched intently as I saw Cecil and Grey’s expressions change as they walked into the room.

“Grace!” Cecil cried.

“Who are you?” Grey yelled at the stranger.

He didn’t answer. All he did was give both of them the finger, which irritated both of them. Cecil looked for something to use, but Grey knew the room better. He grabbed a tranquilizer dart and threw it at the man. Grey had good aim, so it hit the man in the neck. He clutched at his neck furiously, and then started to stumble around. After a moment, he finally fell to the ground, unconscious.

“What do we do now?” Grey asked.

It was good question. We had a couple options. We could kill him. We could bring him somewhere and just dump him. We could leave him here and wait for him to wake up. In my opinion, option three was just stupid. We talked it over, and decided to bring him to the police station.

“Here you go, Officer.” Cecil said. “This man tried to kill my friend here.”

Cecil and the officer talked for a couple minutes while Grey and I sat in the waiting room. It seemed as though the officer and Cecil knew each other well. I didn’t really want to know why.

“Hey, Grace.” Grey whispered, touching my hand. “Are you okay? Does it still hurt a lot?”

I nodded. “Only when I try to sit up, stand, or walk! Besides that I’m fine!” I threw him a playful look.

He smiled and told me everything I needed to do to get better. He would joke around a bit by putting in things like “Give me a kiss.” Or “Have the butler dress in your clothing.” But he was mostly serious. I felt slightly better by the time Cecil came out of the room. Him and the officer were smiling, and nodding. Cecil broke away from the officer and walked over to where we were sitting.

“Good news.” He said. “They agreed to keep him here for a bit. We should be safe for now.”

I shook my head. “We’re only safe from him” I argued. “There are plenty more waiting for me.”

Cecil looked at Grey, and they both seemed to silently agree. I sighed and Grey put his arm around my waist, helping me walk. We walked silently to the house, and I was quickly put into my bed. I didn’t want to be put back in the bed, but I knew that it was what was best for me. If I had more rest, I would recover faster. Cecil and Grey did come to keep me company. It was better than being alone. At the moment, I was talking with Cecil.

“Are you feeling okay yet?” He asked, leaning on the edge of the bed.

I shook my head. “I’m only feeling slightly better.” I said. “It still hurts a lot.”

He grimaced, and handed me some food. “Are you hungry?”

I shook my head. I wasn’t hungry. I was tired. I told Cecil, and he left me alone. I wrapped my blankets around myself tightly, and closed my eyes. Maybe I would feel better when I woke up. My pain subsided, and I faded into the darkness of sleep.