Chapter 30

We stood there, staring at the corpse for a moment, and then decided that we shouldn’t keep the corpse in plain view for everyone to see. The last thing I wanted to do was scar a little kid for life if they happened to find it. With Grey’s help, I managed to move it to the cemetery, and bury it. Hey, maybe the poor thing was at rest now. I sighed, knowing that I had taken that shower just to get dirty again. This time, though, I thought of a better idea than a shower.

“Hey, Grey!” I called, grabbing a hose.

“Wha-” He was cut off by a blast of water.

“It’s on…” He whispered, grabbing another hose.

We spent the next hour spraying each other wildly with freezing cold water. We were soaked through our clothes, but we didn’t care. We were having fun. We were in the middle of shooting each other when I felt a giant rush of cold water at my back. I turned around to find Cecil with what could only be called a water cannon.

“Not Fair!” I cried. My only response was another blast of water.

“All is fair in love and war!” Cecil cried.

Grey gave me a wink and I went over to stand beside him. We let out a battle cry and let the hoses hit Cecil at full blast. And so it went for the next couple hours. Me and Grey against Cecil. We finally returned to the house so soaking wet that all of the staff looked at us with puzzled expressions.

“It was just a water fight.” Cecil explained.

We continued up to our rooms, where we got into some dry clothes. I met the others downstairs after I had used the hairdryer. They were just sitting on the couch, watching TV. I felt glad to join them. Sitting in front of the glowing screen, squashed between two of my friends. Eventually, Cecil put on a horror movie.

“It’s gonna be scary.” Cecil warned. “Don’t get scared!”

It turns out that it wasn’t me getting scared. I had to hold Cecil in my arms, and Grey was clinging to me very tightly. I knew that they would never admit that they were scared, never in a million years. Soon, the movie was over, and both the boys straightened up.

“I wasn’t scared.” Both of them said.

I just nodded. “I believe you.” I said in a mocking tone, leaving the room.

They followed me, trying to convince me that they weren’t scared. I just smiled in a way that said I didn’t believe them. They kept it up until it was time for dinner. They continued to nag through dinner until I threw my hands up in surrender.

“Okay, okay!” I said. “I believe you! You weren’t scared!”

They gave a victorious smile and started eating. I rolled my eyes, still not quite believing them. After dinner, I went to my room for some quiet time. I cleaned, and rested. No sooner than I had finished cleaning, someone broke through the wall, making it a mess again. Another angel stood before me. Great.

“Why can’t you leave me alone?” I cried.

He smirked. “Because you killed father. That is unforgivable!”

He charged at me, and I moved to the side. Father? I thought. Then it occurred to me. The doctor! I dodged another attack I didn’t know anyone got attached to that man… I thought. Oh god, I’ve killed someone they loved. My self-loathing stopped me from dodging the attack, and nails raked at my cheek. I put my hand to my cheek, and the angel picked me up by the throat. He pushed me against the wall, and charged up his hand.

“Go ahead…” I said. “Kill me…” I felt so vile, that I didn’t care.

I had killed someone they loved. It was like killing someone’s parents. No matter how much they may hurt you, it hurts more when they’re killed. I prepared myself for the upcoming blast. Oddly, it never came. I opened an eye. The angel was looking at something off to the side. I followed the angel’s gaze.

“Grace!” Grey cried from the doorway. “What’s going on? Fight back!”