Chapter 21

I walked along an abandoned road. I didn’t know why I was there, or why I was the only one. It was cold, and it felt as if my blood had turned to ice. The feeling only grew worse as I heard footsteps behind me. Feeling queasy, I turned and looked behind me.

“Hello?” I called. “Is anyone there?” When I heard and saw no one, I continued on my way. I felt someone grab my shoulder tightly, and became scared. I turned around quickly.

“Guess who?” A raspy voice laughed.

I screamed, and tried to jerk away from the doctor, but to my disappointment, he was too strong.

“Hello again, Grace!” He almost yelled. All my terror had frozen me, but suddenly I unfroze and pushed him.

“Get away from me!” I cried, lifting up my hand and- I woke up, just in time to see white light fly out of the palm of my hand and into the wall, creating a giant hole. Slightly confused, I rubbed my eyes. When I opened them again, the hole was still there.

I stumbled out of my bed, and went up to the hole.

“That didn’t just happen…” I mumbled under my breath. I looked through the hole only to see Max’s face. Oh yeah… I thought. His room is next to mine!

“Uh…Max?” I asked. He looked up. “How did this hole get here?” He shook his head.

“Well…” he said. “I don’t know how to say this without sounding crazy, but you shot light out of your palms and into the wall.” I sighed.

“That’s what I thought…” I mumbled.

I sat down on my bed and Max followed, sitting beside me.

“It’s probably just another outcome of the experiments the doctor did.” Max reassured me, putting his arm around my shoulders comfortingly. I gave him a small smile, and he gave me a small hug. “Don’t be so down.” He whispered into my ear. I nodded. It’s so nice that you’re concerned about me… I thought.

“Thanks!” He said. I looked at him, surprised.

“Uh, Max?” I asked. “Why did you say thanks?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Because you called me nice for being so concerned.” I gasped. He read my thoughts! I thought.

“Did I?” He gasped.

We both nearly fainted.

“Max…” I whispered. “I didn’t know you could do that!” He forced a laugh.

“Neither did I.” He whispered back. We stayed silent for a couple moments. He grabbed my arm, and I cried out when his nails dug into my flesh.

“Ouch!” I cried. He retracted his hand. I glanced at his hand, and nearly gasped. Two things were slightly off base. First, his skin seemed lighter than when I had first met him. Second, his nails were pointy and long, like mine. Combined with the fact that he had a power to read minds, something didn’t seem quite right.

“Hey Max…” I said. “You said that the experiments didn’t work on you right?” Max looked up and nodded.

“Yeah,” He said. “I did say that.” I propped myself up on my elbows.

“But, look at your skin…” I said, grabbing his hand. “It seems like it’s gotten a lot lighter since I met you a couple days ago.” He shrugged.

“So?”

I sighed “And look at your nails! They’re long and sharp, just like mine.” He looked at them.

“What does that prove?” He said.

“Have you tried cutting them, just to have them grow back? Mine do that.”

He was silent. “Max, I don’t think he failed. I think that you just took longer to show change, and your traits are different than mine.”

He was silent. “I guess you’re right.” He said. I looked up at the hole in the wall.

“So what should we do about that?” I asked. He looked.

“We could make a door that leads room this room to my room!”

We smiled, and got started right away. It took almost the whole day, but we completed the task, as well as finding out something new. That night, Max stayed with me in my room. We were up untill late into the night, making noise and playing around. What other surprises lay in store? We would have to wait and see.