Chapter 8

We finished our food and tea, saying nothing the whole time. My head throbbed from the glimpse of some sort of past I had just encountered. I felt dizzy. Grey looked up and stretched.

“Well, I guess this time I’ll really be goin’. Sorry to bother you all.” He said, heading for the door. Both Cecil and I said goodbye and watched as he left the room slowly.

I looked back at Cecil, ready to try asking again.

“Cecil...” I said, a little unsure. “It may seem a bit intrusive, but did you have any friends when you were little?” He smiled.

“Of course.” He said. “I had a couple, although one of my best friends was the child of one of our old maids. She was maybe a couple years older than me, with black hair and grey eyes...why?” I grinned shyly.

“No reason...” I said.

I looked at the ceiling. It was probably a coincidence... I thought. I was being silly. Of course there was no connection between us at all. Hell, the past was probably fake, not even mine.  A figment of my imagination. I yawned and laid my head down on the table. I wasn’t tired enough to sleep, but I was tired in the way that I didn’t want to move. Imagine my disdain at the next question.

“Grace!” Cecil said. “The carnival’s in town Grace!” I waited for the question sure to follow. “Will you come with me?”

Even though I felt like crap, I decided to go with him, wearing a coat that would cover my wings, and sunglasses. It didn’t look too weird, and it did a great job of covering my abnormalities. I would watch as Cecil rode the rides, with some jealousy. He was having such fun, and I was stuck on the sidelines. I watched as he went on the ferris wheel. I was so fixated on the size of it, that I jumped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and looked into the friendly eyes of Grey.

“Heya girl!” he said. “How’s it been? Ya doin’ alright?” I nodded.

“I’m doing fine right now, just a mild headache.” He smiled.

“Yea, I’ve been meanin’ ta ask ya ‘bout somethin’” he said. I raised an eyebrow. “Well, at dinner, it seemed like ya were tryin’ ta say somethin’, but was cut off by the servant. Was it somethin’ important?” I smiled. He was so concerned.

“It was nothing Grey” I said. “It was just a silly question for Cecil.”

He laughed quietly, and I joined in. We stood like that for a couple minutes until Cecil came back from the ride. He saw Grey and smiled. To most people, it would seem like an everyday friendly smile. To me, it looked like he was trying to keep from glaring at him. I shrugged it off, and let Cecil grab my hand as he dragged me to the next ride.

Grey followed slightly behind me. He was looking around every couple seconds, as if looking for something or someone. Cecil stopped, and I almost fell down. I followed the direction of his eyes to the giant house in front of us. A House of Horrors. I laughed.

“Do you want to try it?” I asked Cecil. He smiled, nervously.

“You should come in this time Grace!” he said. Grey chuckled.

“Then I guess I’ll be comin’ too.” Cecil looked annoyed, but allowed him to come. We paid tickets to go in, and entered through the big steel doors. In the dimly lit room just inside, we watched as the doors closed. When they closed, I thought I saw a figure in the doorway laughing, but I shook my head. It’s probably nothing...