Chapter 18

Max walked up to Cecil and Grey, feeling anger seethe inside of him. He put Grace down gently. Turning to the boys, he pointed a finger in their direction.

“You!” he yelled, making both of them recoil. “What were you thinking, you assholes?! You left Grace in a burning building, just to save yourselves!” Their eyes went to their feet, and their faces reddened with shame.

“Now,” Max continued. “Let’s get Grace home.” Cecil nodded and led everyone to his house. All the mutants went to the basement immediately, leaving only Cecil, Grey, Max, and the still-unconscious Grace in the hallway.

Cecil broke the silence.

“I’ll take Grace to her room.” He said, grabbing Grace from Max’s arms. Cecil went upstairs, leaving Grey and Max alone, and in an awkward silence.

“So…” Grey said, breaking the silence. “What’s wrong with you?” Max raised one eyebrow, confused. He then realized he was talking about the mutant experiments.

“Oh, no,” He said, putting his hands out in front of him. “I’m a failed experiment, so I’m not mutated.”

“Oh.” Grey said, feeling a bit sheepish. “So why do you wear a parka then?” Max thought for a moment.

“I guess I don’t need to.” He said. “I guess it is kind of hot in here. I’ll take it off”

---

I woke in my bed. I tried to get up, but when I did, pain coursed through my body. I forced myself to get up out of my room, and downstairs to the kitchen. Once there, I got myself a drink and sat at the table. I rested my head on the table, and started to wonder about the pain. Oh my god I thought. What happened after I blacked out? I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up. I saw a tall boy, around 20, with shoulder-length red hair, and green eyes.

“Who are you?” I asked, confused.

“It’s me…” The boy said, sheepishly.

My eyes grew wide with disbelief.

“Max?” I asked. He nodded. “But…But your parka…” I mumbled. He smiled.

“I took it off.” He said. I smiled. He’s actually pretty good-looking! I thought. I caught myself and shook off the thought.

“Well,” I said. “It’s great to know what you look like under that hood.” He laughed at this, and I joined in. After I had laughed for about 10 seconds, the pain came back.

“Ouch!” I gasped, under my breath. Max touched my arm.

“Are you okay?” he asked, concerned. I nodded.

“Just a bit of pain…” I re-assured him.

He smiled guiltily.

“What do you know?” I asked, eyeing his smile suspiciously. He chuckled nervously, and then told me about what had happened after I blacked out. I glared at the wall.

“So they left without me…” I said, glaring at the wall.

“I’m sure it wasn’t their fault.” Max said, although he didn’t believe it himself. I smiled and stood up.

“Well, I should probably- ” I was cut off by the doorbell ringing. Cecil ran down and opened the door. I looked around the wall that separated the kitchen from the hallway.

Standing in the doorway was a girl of maybe 15-16 with black hair swept up in pigtails, and bright pink lipstick.

“Cecil!” she cried, lunging at him for a hug. I watched, suspicious, as she kissed him on the cheek. Who is she? I thought. She noticed me out of the corner of her eye.

“Oh, hello!” she said. “You must be one of Cecil’s friends!” I took her hand reluctantly and shook it.

“I’m Grace.” I said. She smiled.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you Grace.” She said. “I’m Tanya, Cecil’s fiancée.”