Chapter 15

I crept slowly and silently through the hallway. Passing by the empty cells, I could imagine what kind of experiments the doctor did in them. I shook my head, and continued on. Through my discomfort I could hear a faint moaning sound. I tiptoed to the next cell and peered inside. As I stuck my face to the bars, I was greeted by another one. A man with a hideously disfigured face gestured for me to stay silent, as I studied him carefully.

His face was raw and pink, with his various featured either melded together or gone completely. It shocked me, but it wasn’t really that bad. Besides, we were sort of the same. As we stood there staring at each other, I got an idea. I lifted my hand and looked at the long, sharp nails on my fingers. I took one and held it up to the lock. With a quick flick of the wrist, the cell opened, and the man walked out.

“Thank....you....” he said.

His voice was scratchy, and as he spoke, he was trying not to cringe. I smiled and leaned in close to him.

“Come with me...” I said. “I'm going to face off with him...” I saw sparks fly in his eyes.

“... Doctor...” He said. I could hear anger and unhappiness in his voice. He looked at me and nodded. “I...go...too...” He took my hand and shook it. I smiled and went to the next cell, where I let out another, and another, until I had a bunch with me.

I checked my watch. It was late, and we were tired. We needed to be pumped for tomorrow, and we needed sleep. I found a nearby cell, and set up camp...sort of. There was no tent, and no fire; just mutants. I kept watch as the others slept, and made sure the doctor was nowhere in sight. The scene faded to black, as it turned to night.

I sat against the wall, examining the medicine Grey gave me. The liquid inside the vial swished around as I fiddled with it. I was suddenly aware of heavy breathing near the cell door. I stood up quietly and quickly, inching towards the door. I heard a sharp intake of breath, and jumped at the attacker. In a moment, I found myself on top of Cecil and Grey.

“Grace!” Grey whispered. “What are you doing?!” I got up, and helped them up.

“Sorry...” I apologized. They nodded and walked into the room.

In the moonlight from the single window, I could see both Cecil and Grey clearly.

“Nice!” I said, referring to their clothing. Grey had on black leather pants, with a red belt, along with a black tank top and red vest. His outfit was completed by an armband, cross necklace, and...Lip piercing?

“When did you get that?” I asked.

“Always had it.” He answered. I smiled and turned to Cecil, who was also wearing an outfit.

Cecil had grey pants, a white top and black jacket, and a skull belt. He didn’t have any necklaces or earrings, but he had some black gloves and a spike wristband. I gave him a smile as well and sat down. They sat down with me, and we started talking.

“So what’s the plan?” Grey asked. I looked him in the eyes.

“The plan...” I said. “Starts at Doctor Farrows’ lab...”