CHAPTER 32

PETE

"Protect the house!!!" I heard Nop screaming outside the house. All the bodyguards that scattered all around the house came to guard the front door as the helicopter slowly landed on our front yard.

Then suddenly, I heard a shooting sound, not coming from the helicopter, but from across the lake. Sniper? How many? One by one the bodyguard that was trying to guard the house got hit by the invisible sniper even before the helicopter fully landed. Some bullets even fly to hit the window glass. All four of us take cover under the Kitchen counter. Before we hid, I saw Khun Korn ready to get out of the helicopter.

"It's P'Korn" said Khun In, who apparently also saw what I saw.

"We need to go!" I said

"No!" said Khun In "You take Macau and Porchay, I'll stay here"

"What? Mama, no!" said Macau panic.

"Listen to me carefully, Pete" she said to me in a calm manner "There's a secret tunnel, under the wardrobe inside Vegas's room, P'Gun secretly built it as our emergency exit soon after P'Korn give this house to us, P'Korn doesn't know about it, the tunnel will bring you across the lake. Take Macau and Porchay there"

"What about you?" I ask.

"I'll stay here" she said, still in a calm manner.

"No! you have to come with us!" said Macau totally panicked.

"P'Korn is looking for me, if I come with you he'll come chasing after you too" she explain

"No! I won't leave you here!" said Macau

"Pete..." she didn't try to talk to Macau because she knows it will be useless "Please... save them, they are the future of the Theerapanyaku family, don't let P'Korn get them"

I looked her in the eyes and I saw determination on it. She knows things can turn to the worst and she's already prepared for it. All she cares about now is her son and nephew's safety. For her their lives are way more important than her own.

"I understand..." I told her "I'll get them to safety"

"No!" Macau hugged his mom tightly and started crying again " I won't leave you here!"

"Macau... my baby boy, you have to be brave and strong, tell your Hia I'm always proud of him, he doesn't need to try so hard to become someone he's not" she said to Macau, even though her voice sounds so firm, I still can see tears start flowing from her eyes.

"We need to go now, we don't have much time" with a heavy heart, I forcefully pulled Macau away from his mama, he was still struggling and kicking trying to get back to his mama.

"Aunty..." Porchay hugged his aunty with teary eyes.

"Thank you for being a good cousin to Macau, please watch over Macau for me" she said to Porchay.

"Let's go!" I said because really, I don't think I can hold Macau for any longer, he is still struggling and kicking and screaming for his mama.

Porchay let go of his hug and the three of us, with me dragging Macau, ran to Vegas's room. Macau is still trying to get to his mama even after we get inside Vegas's room. I close the door and let him go.

"Listen to me, Macau!" I talk to him in an angry stern voice. I was never angry at Macau before so when I used this voice to talk to him, he got surprised and immediately turned silent "Your mama sacrificed herself for you! You have to be proud of her! You have to respect her choice! She did this for you!"

"I found the tunnel!" said Porchay. He showed us a trap door inside the wardrobe.

"But mama..."

"This is not the end, Macau... this is a war, we are losing, we need to retreat to save ourselves so we can do a better and more strategize counter attack" I said, trying to give him a pep talk "Now, get inside the tunnel and get our asses out of this house, that's the only thing we can do now".