CHAPTER 27

PETE

Kim and I looked at each other when we heard what the courier said. It can't be right?

"Nice try, you really want to get your nails plucked huh?" I said to the courier.

"I'm telling you the truth, I swear, I swear, I didn't lie" he said in his scared voice.

"What apartment number?" Ask Kim

"I... I don't know" he said in a small voice.

"You are really challenging our patient!" I said

"No, no, I really don't know, she met me at the basement parking lot where I park my motorbike" he said "I was delivering an order for a resident and when I got back to my motorbike she was already waiting there. She told me to deliver a brown envelope to Khun Kimhan Theerapanyakul who lives in the same apartment building. She gave me a lot of money, she also said I have to call her immediately if Khun Kimhan ever contacted me regarding the package. It's true, It's true that she was the one who arranged our meeting yesterday, she gave me more money and told me what I need to say to you during our meeting"

"Do you have her number?" I ask.

"I have but I think it's a burner phone, when I tried to call her again yesterday the number already inactive"

Of course it is. There's no way she'll make it that easy right?

We backed away a little bit to talk things out.

"What do you think?" I ask Kim "Do you think he's telling us the truth?"

"I don't know, I feel like a total fool if she really lives in my apartment building all these times while we are looking for her all around the country, but to think about it again, it is actually a good idea. If she really lives in my apartment building, she can watch me closely without me realizing it" said Kim.

"Should we call Vegas and ask him about it?" I suggest.

Kim nodded his head "I think we should consult with him about this"

"Vegas!" The courier scream that name "The lady mention that name before"

We both turned to him "what did you say?"

"Vegas, who is he? Is he the lady's husband? You said she's married into the mafia family" ask the courier, now he doesn't sound so scared anymore.

"That's really none of your business" I said pointing my gun to him to remind him of his position.

"No, no! Don't kill me! I'm sorry, I don't want to know anymore" he raised his hand and curled in fear.

"Just tell me what she said about Vegas" said Kim.

"I... I... I was asking her, wasn't she scared... fighting a mafia family on her own, what if they... I mean you guys... find her. And she said yeah, of course there's still possibility that you guys will end up find her, but she said she hope it will be Vegas who find her"

KIM

We let the courier go with a big threat that if he ever lies to us we will find him again and we won't let him go in one piece like today. He was still trembling when he literally ran out from the house and left as fast as he could on his motorbike.

We went back to my apartment with a different feeling now. Aunty In is there, all these time, at my own apartment building, while we are looking for her across the nation. In the car, we talk about our option on how to find Aunty In among hundreds of the apartment residences. The easiest way is of course to faking a fire alarm and making everyone come out from their apartment. But I know for sure that crowd is also the easiest place to hide. With so many people gathering at the same place and the same time it will be so easy for her to hide and disappear again before we can find her. So we scratch that idea.