CHAPTER 29

KINN

It looks like Porsche is moving to another room because I can't hear the other's voices, all I can hear are only Porsche and Kim's voices now. They are talking about me and Porchay, about how they think they're gonna tell us about the thing that Aunty In just told them. But I'm here, I'm already listening to all of that, and I have my own opinion on it. I think we can't just believe everything Aunty In said, we need to ask papa about his version too. I want Porsche to call me and ask me directly, so I can give him my opinion on it. I waited, and waited and waited, but their conversation shifted to Porchay now, and I can see they got zero intention to call me.

I can't wait any longer so I decided to be the one who calls him first. I can hear him looking at his phone and telling Kim that I called.

"Take it" said Kim.

"I don't know what to say to him" said Porsche, then rejected my call.

I was totally dumbfounded when he rejected my call. Why didn't he want to talk to me after what he just found out? Shouldn't I be the first person he talked to after he heard about all of this?

This really breaks my heart. Not only all this time, Porsche has been secretly teaming up with my estranged brother, and my most hated cousin to investigate my papa, he also didn't want to share his finding with me.

I don't know what I should do, should I bring this to my papa now?

PETE

It was a story that my grandma told me when I was a kid. About an island close to my hometown that was burned down by fire. My dad adds to the story by telling our family relation with that island. Hearing about that story and knowing our relationship with that island gives me nightmares. For days I can't sleep because I keep dreaming about the burnt village, the people screaming and crying. Seeing my condition, my grandma told me to just forget about that story. I don't need to remember it anymore. And I did. For years I don't even remember that story anymore. Until a few days ago when Khun In sent us that newspaper clipping.

"I... I... never knew about this..." I said truthfully.

"I believe you" said Khun In "I was checking your background and your family history when I learned about your relationship with Vegas and that's when I found out about this. To be honest, at the beginning I thought P'Korn sent you to be on Vegas's side..."

"No he's not!" Said Vegas in an angry voice "He never..."

"And I also believe that..." said Khun In "Pete, I might not know you for a long time but I can see how much you love Vegas. When Vegas was still in coma and even the doctor can't tell for sure when he'll wake up, you stayed by his side. Everyday, when Vegas has not woken up yet, you talk to him, sing for him, read his favorite book, even sometimes scold the unconscious Vegas for taking so long to wake up. I never see any form of love as pure as that"

I literally turned red from shame when she said that.

Vegas who sit beside me smile from ear to ear "You never told me that you sing for me"

I want to dig a hole and hide my face inside it.

Khun In also smiles "Not only Vegas, you also care so much about Macau, you give him your attention and never let him feel alone"

"How did you know all of this?" Vegas asks her.

"The head nurse, she's a long time employee in the hospital, she was also the one who helped you and Macau's birth, I know her personally, that's why I ask for her help to watch you for me" said Khun In.

That scary head nurse? She was never kind to us and always got mad over a slightly loud voice. Never thought she was actually Khun In's spy.

Khun In warmly hold my hand and said "For all the things you did to my sons, I will never thank you enough, Pete, that's why even when I found out about your family background I never doubt your love to Vegas"