CHAPTER 19

VEGAS 

"You are lying" I think that was the perfect reaction I should give after what my uncle said. There is no way in hell my mama is dead.

"I know it's hard to believe, Vegas, but if you see her health condition the last few years before she passed away, you won't say that" Uncle An, still trying to convince me.

"What do you mean? My mama is alway a healthy woman" I said.

"No, she wasn't" said my uncle "She might be trying to act tough in front of you and your brother but she was never a perfectly healthy woman"

"What caused her death?" Pete asks.

"Ovarian cancer" said Uncle "Your mom had multiple miscariage, Vegas, she had 2 miscariage between you and your little brother and one right before she decided to leave. The doctors said the multiple miscariage was the most possible cause of her ovarian cancer"

I don't know how I feel now. Seconds ago I was so sure my uncle was just lying, but now, I'm not sure anymore. For years I tried to just bury every memory about my mama that I almost forgot that in my childhood before Macau was born, mama did get hospitalized for a couple of times. At that time, I didn't understand the cause but my parents did say something about losing my siblings. And I also remember a couple months before mama left us, she just got discharged from the hospital. They didn't explain to me and Macau why mama was hospitalized but I remember when she came back from the hospital she was very sad.

"When did she pass away?" Kim asked.

"Three years ago" he said.

“3 years?!” this is definitely a lie, there is no way my mama already died for that long and no one from her family told me or Macau about it "Why did no one tell me?"

"I tried to reach you, Vegas, but your papa always cut me off and never let the news get to you" he answered.

“My papa knew mama already died?” I asked.

“He knew, I told him myself” 

I don’t know whether I am mad, or sad. My papa just went silent and didn’t say anything to me and Macau about my mama's death till he himself died. Why? Even though mama just left us without words, still, me and Macau have a right to know about her death. Maybe he thought it’s not important for us, maybe he thought I wouldn't care even if I knew. But still, knowing about it 3 years after she’s gone feels suffocating for me. And how should I tell Macau about it?

Pete grabbed my hand under the table to give me some support. He looked at me with a sad expression on his face. I really don’t know what I should say or what I should do right now.

“Was it the reason why she left? Because she knew she was sick?” Pete is the one who is asking, I think he knows even though I didn’t say anything there’s still so much I need to know.

My uncle went silent for a couple of seconds before he answered “To be honest, my sister never directly told me the exact reason why she chose to leave. All I know is she always got so much pressure both from her own husband and from his whole clan. So I can only guess, maybe, knowing that she was sick and won’t have enough strength to keep facing them, became her main reason to leave”.

“Where was she?” this time Kim is the one who asked “Where did she go after she left?”

“Australia” my uncle answered “She got her treatment there right until her death”

“Did she also get buried there?” Kim asked again.

“No, we brought her back here” said my uncle “If Vegas wants to meet his mama, I can bring you to her grave”