Chapter 37

The blob spikes itself in all directions as it grows, reaching heights taller than the monster that attacked Sunghoon

"There's no way around it! Run!", Jay yells in fear.

They make a run for it to try and get as much distance between them and the monster as possible.

Melody forces herself to run even faster. Blood rushes to her head, her ears burning. "Why did it come back?". No matter how much she pondered, she couldn't think of a reason.

Has my understanding of the nightmare world been completely wrong?

The road ahead darkens with despair.

Then, how can we get rid of the monster? I can't think of any other ideas.

Just when she had given up...

"H-Help!". Suddenly they hear a muffled cry come from it. "Please." At the sound of that familiar voice, they all suddenly stop running and turn around.

"Did you guys hear that?", Melody gasps.

"It's Jake", Jay mutters in disbelief.

The monster screams in a much higher tone of voice.

"That's Ari!"

Jake and Ari died rejecting their memories, and it made the monster even stronger.

"Are these their lost memories?", Melody asks to no one in particular.

"Dammit our memories alone weren't enough!", Jay groans in frustration. "We'll have to figure out a way to accept Jake and Ari's memories. But how!?".

"I can buy you guys some time", Heeseung whispers.

"You mean you're gonna sacrifice yourself again?Are you fxcking nuts?", Melody curses. "I won't let you to do it again. You hear me?".

"Melody, please. Let me protect you", Heeseung pleads.

The monster is getting closer and closer. The monster glares at her with its disgusting eyes like it wants her next.

She resists the fear with all her might while desperately trying to come up with a plan. "Heeseung! We will face this all together."

They all walk up to Heeseung's side.

"Melody..."

"Can't let up be the hero all alone now, can I?", Jay raises his brow. Sunghoon nods swiftly.

"Jay, Sunghoon..."

"Jake's in there afterall. I have to do this for him." Jay's voice sounds so sure but the moment he takes her hand, she could feel the chills on his skin. He was trembling.

She looks at him, pressing her lips together, and he nods at her with a smile.

"We promise Melody. We'll see this through to the end", Sunghoon smirks.