Chapter 32

"There", Jay steps back after hooking the bag over Heeseung's IV stand

"There", Jay steps back after hooking the bag over Heeseung's IV stand. "Thankyou, Jay", Melody smiles.

"No problem, someone has to do it. It's not like he can take care of himself. Still, being in a coma for thirteen years...", Jay turns to look at Heeseung, his eyes downcast with what looks like pity. "Judging from the state he's in, he's probably been left like this for about a week."

"A whole week!?". The thought of it sends chills down her spine. If they had been even one day later, he might have not made it.

"Which means Hyun-woo was killed around that time. And it's also when we started having these nightmares".

"Us getting pulled into these nightmares might be the result of Heeseung unconsciously calling out for help", Sunghoon says. "If we hadn't come, Heeseung would've died for sure."

"I found this while looking for IV bag", Sunghoon holds out a journal book. "It's Lee Hyun-woo's diary."

The other two gasp. Melody takes the diary from Sunghoon. The pages are yellowing, a clear sign of age.

"I've read a bit of it but let's start looking into after the accident", Sunghoon suggests. "We can save time by skipping past the parts we already know."

They skip through the pages, skimming through the writings carefully.

"Wait, stop there!".

Melody feels a hand over her own, abruptly stopping her from turning another page. Jay helps her hold the book in place, and she feels him peer in closer from over her shoulder.

After the incident, i found myself at loss. Do i grieve for my son, or do i grieve for myself?

Then he leans back and folds his arms. "Let's start from here."

"Okay". Her eyes travel from the paragraph Jay just read.

How has it come to this? Heeseung, your father is a wanted man.

I am terribly sorry for putting your life and your friend's lives at risk.

The government has judged this experiment to be a failure and i....

Melody trails off, biting her lip. Sunghoon steps beside her, and finishes the sentence.

I am to pay for my sins.

"So the government came after him", Jay hums. "It feels like he was more of a scapegoat", Sunghoon squints his eyes.

"A scapegoat?", Melody asks.

Sunghoon nods, flipping a page. "The experiment was partly funded by the government. But it looks like they put the blame solely on Lee Hyun-woo."