Chapter 24

Not too long after, Jay stops his car in front of a mossy gate

They step out of the car and gather outside the gates. The structure is pretty much intact on the outside, but the inner structure seemed to be hollowed out.

Melody looks up to see the signage rusting from years of neglect. "Bluebells...". Her own voice sends a shiver down her spine.

It's real. We're here.

"It looks even creepier than in the nightmare", Sunghoon said.

"Yeah, definitely eerie— Sunghoon?"

Sunghoon stands there, frozen.

"Come on, we don't have all day", says Jay.

But Sunghoon stays glued to the ground, an insect hovering around him. Is that a bee? Melody hears murmurs, but she was unsure where they're coming from until she walks past Sunghoon, who's closing his eyes and mumbling.

"Go away. Go away. Go away". The bee circles around Sunghoon like a vulture.

Don't tell me...

The bee settles down on Sunghoon's hair. "Is it gone?".

Melody gently sweeps the bee off Sunghoon's hair. Sunghoon shivers slightly, like a little animal.

After how dauntlessly he stood before the monster, seeing Sunghoon afraid of a bee like this is endearing. She can't help but giggle.

"Wh-What?"

"Come on, quit fooling around. We're going!", Jay's words halts their little moment. They had never seen him anxious like this before.

They follow Jay through the gates of the orphanage.

"So...", Melody began as she walks cautiously around the overgrown grounds. "You're afraid of bees, Sunghoon?".

Jay, who is in front of them snickers.

"It's not that....", Sunghoon sounds dejected. He must've been trying to keep it a secret. But why?

"A lot of people are afraid of bees. It's okay", Melody smiles. But she didn't expect him to be one of them. It's kind of cute in a way.

"You don't understand", Sunghoon covers his face with both hands and runs his hands through his hair in frustration. "I got stung once. It's not as simple as being afraid of them. It's more like a phobia."

"Oh, i am sorry to hear that...", She felt bad for making fun of him.

"You got pretty bad luck then", Jay says.

"Story of my life", Sunghoon shrugs.

They drop the subject of Sunghoon's trauma. It's clear he doesn't want to talk about it further. They make their way across the yard, looking past the growing moss across the cobblestone pavement.