Chapter 3

Melody still couldn't believe or perhaps didn't wanted to believe it

Melody still couldn't believe or perhaps didn't wanted to believe it. Unable to come up with an explanation, she just stared at the television. "It can't be the same girl."

"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫."

She turns back, her throat dry.

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐬𝐨 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐧 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐠𝐧𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐞𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐟𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬."

"What's going on?", She says, looking disbelief.

The noise from the television disappears as she makes her way to the kitchen for a glass of water.

"Neural damage", She turns the tap on, absent-mindedly filling her glass. The water fills the glass over the brim.

" Ari was ....eaten by a monster."

"Did it actually...happen?"

Melody closes her eyes, shaking away the vision she saw last night.

"Mel?"

"There's no way it could have been actually real...right?", She whispers, thinking to herself.

How Ari died in the dream and how the news said she died are completely different. It's all just a coincidence. That's what Melody kept telling to herself.

"Melody!", A hand lands firmly on her shoulder, making her scream. "Ahhh!", She jumps away, her heart pounding like a drum.

The girl turns around to find her mother turning the faucet off. "What are you so scared for?", asks her mother.

Melody catches her breath, putting a hand on her chest as if trying to get a hold of her raging heartbeat. "Jeez, mom, you scared me!".

"I didn't mean to honey", Her mother replies. "You were so out of it. I've been calling you, but you didn't respond. You even left the tap running. What's wrong?".

Her mother's loving concern remarks made her want to cry, but she tries to hold back the tears welling inside her. She really wanted to tell her everything, she really did but she couldn't. No not now. "It's nothing....mom. i just saw a scary movie last night", she muttered.

"That's why i keep telling you to stop watching such things. They make you more faint-hearted by the minute. Silly little girl", Her mother laughs unaware of her troubled thoughts.

"Sorry mom..."

"Come on, let's get some hot chocolate for you!"

Melody sighs, following her mother to the dining table. Her mind wanders to the boys she met in the dream wondering what happened to them? Do they even exist?

♡♤♡

"Hey!", Sunoo immediately leans over as Melody sits down. "Oh are you that enthusiastic to study?", She raises a brow.

"What do you mean? I'm only this eager when i have a gossip", He whispers, as his eyes sparkle.

She smirks, acting like a gossiper," So what is it this time Sir Sunoo?"

"Didn't you hear about the news? The news about Jung Ari?",He asks as her smile fades away.

"Oh? What happened to her?", She whispers.

"Well then Lady Melody listen! This girl died due to brain damage. It's strange because nothing was wrong with her", Sunoo sighs. " Did you also know? People also look up to her as a fashion inspiration, and she and her boyfriend are pretty cute together."

Sunoo shows Ari's profile. The girl smiling happily on the photo was the same girl she met in the dream. No shit sherlocks.

"The world is so scary these days", He says, sighing dramatically again.

"Y-Yeah", She murmurs, replying back.

♡♤♡

Melody stares at the flickering cursor on her computer screen. For the whole day, she had been trying to shake off her worries, but she ends up trying to make sense of what happened.

"Ari died in a nightmare in that dimension. And she died in the real world due to brain damage", she whispered typing some words in the search bar.

Could the real world and dream world really be connected? Is it possible for a nightmare to become reality?

As she was about to click on another site, she suddenly hears the sound of bells.

The black-haired suddenly felt herself struck with the same overwhelming sleepiness from last night.

She blinked, trying to keep her eyelids open. The cursor flickers, as she tried to hit the 'Enter' button.

The sound of bells reverberate in her head.

And slowly her eyes close shut.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━