Chapter 36

Melody gently opens her eyes and sees Sunghoon kneeling beside her

Melody gently opens her eyes and sees Sunghoon kneeling beside her. He's tightly gripping her hand as tears silently stream down his face. It seems she had just passed out from the shock. Her cuts were shallow, by no means life-threatening.

Running a straight line from her cheek to her collarbone, the scratches have already closed up. She still felt hazy and lightheaded. Maybe it's because she kept drifting in and out of sleep.

"I am so sorry, Melody. You encouraged me to look ahead. I was determined to protect you, but I couldn't even do that. I couldn't protect the one I cared so much about". She could hear the powerlessness in his voice as he clutches her hand tightly. He keeps his eyes downcast, seemingly not noticing she is awake. "Nothing ever good comes of me being around people. This all happened because of me."

Sunghoon has lived his life blaming himself for the suffering of others. The thought alone hurted her.

"Don't... Don't say that", Melody manages to croak the words out of her dry throat.

Sunghoon seemed suprised. He probably didn't realize she was awake. "Melody...". He slowly looks up at her. Their eyes meet.

She gazed at his tear-filled red eye. It really was pretty. She didn't understand why people treated him as if he were cursed.

Melody places a gentle hand on his cheek. "So pretty", she said it just like the first time she saw him in the orphanage. He looks at her as if an epiphany just came to him. "Do you remember now?."

Sunghoon nods firmly. "You complimented my eye so many times. Because we lost our memories, we were like complete strangers to each other when we first met in the night are world. Even still, the first thing you did was say my eyes were beautiful. I can't express how much that meant to me. But even still it's no use." He utters from the depths of his heart.

"No matter how many times I tell myself, no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to accept my eye.... to actually like it."

"Sunghoon... ", Melody's voice wavered. "I understand. If that's how you feel, then you don't have to force yourself to like your eye. Even if you hate your eye, I'll love it for you, Sunghoon. Just like you can't accept your eye no matter how hard you try. I'll never be able to hate it. Even if you reject it, my feelings won't change. So there's no need to force yourself."

Sunghoon wraps her in a strong, loving embrace. She puts her arms around his back and hug him back, just as tightly. "Thankyou... for pulling me out of darkness so many times. For lighting my path." He releases her and stares at her wounds.

"Melody, I'm so sorry." As if not sure where to look, Sunghoon averts his eyes. "It's all my fault you got hurt.

Melody hurriedly closes her jacket to hide the holes in her shirt. "Don't worry about it. It was my decision to do what I did. You're not responsible for that. Besides, this is my medal for saving you. I'm glad I did what I did. I was able to pay you back for what you did thirteen years ago."