Chapter 29

They go back to where it all began

Melody stands before stairs leading to the basement. She stares into the pitch black abyss. The eerie, screeching howl of the wind gives her the creeps.

Sunghoon takes out a flashlight.

The steps are covered in dust and moss, but the staircase still seems intact.

"I'll go first", Sunghoon says. "No, let me", Jay interrupts him.

Sunghoon looks suprised for a moment, but immediately forces out a smile and hands jay the flashlight. Jay glances at Melody for a brief moment, before adding," You should stay between us, Mel."

"Gotcha"

Alright, i can do this.

She encourages herself as they slowly descend down the stairs.

Feeling tense, they carefully make their way down the steps. Some steps have water pooling on them, making them slippery.

The stains on the wall are also creepy. Melody tried her best to avoid touching them. Each of the stains are starting to look like the bloodstains they found last time. The air is thick with the familiar smell of blood. Resisting the rising urge to puke, she swallows hard and trudges forward.

In an effort to take her mind off her putrid surroundings, she tries thinking about the past.

They were forbidden to wander too far, and there were parts of the building that they weren't supposed to be in.

Jay got scolded several times for trying to sneak into the basement. She wondered if he remembers that?

And finally, one day, Father invited them to the basement, the place they were most curious about. It was scary! . Despite her curiousity, she remember how terrified she was.

But atleast Heeseung was there. He held her hands all the way down.

"It's okay. Don't be scared. I'll be protect you. I'm gonna rescue you from the darkness", He said.

And that eventually became the day they lost their memories.

When she thinks about it now, the darkness he was talking about wasn't the dark basement. It was her dark past.

Heeseung is okay right? I'm sure I'll be able to see him again.

She clenches her fist as if to try and push back her worries. "Heeseung...".

"I've been thinking", Sunghoon says out of the blue, pushing her daydream away from her mind. "The monster should have showed up last night."

"But it didn't", Melody added. "Yeah, I've been wondering about that too."

"He's been trapped in his own head for thirteen years. And with that Lee Hyun-woo had said about him, he had lot of happy memories", Sunghoon said.

"Does that mean Heeseung doesn't have any traumatic memories?", She asked. "No bad memories mean no monster coming after you, it seems", Jay replies. Their awful memories were erased, but Heeseung's was wiped out entirely.