Chapter 21

[Caution: Blood, Trauma]

"Brother?"

Jay and Jake look at each other with shocked expressions.

Suddenly the scene in front of them changes. The two young boys are now happily looking at a sketchbook together.

"That's amazing brother!", Young Jay claps happily. "You think so? Do you think mom will like it?", Jake smiles. "Of course!".

The figure of a woman comes into view. There's a piece of paper in her hands, crumpled by the force she's clutching it with.

"Mom!", Young Jake runs excitedly towards his mother, waving the sketchbook in his hands. "Mom, i drew you for art class today, and my teacher gave me an award for it. Look!".

The boy proudly shows his mother the artwork, but the woman passes him by, going straight for his brother.

"M-Mom?", Jake holds onto his sketchbook tightly.

"Jay"

All at once, the blood drains from young Jay's face, his pallor ghostly white. He looks so scared.

Melody turns to look at Jay and Jake. Both of them had gone pale looking at the apparition.

"Come here, Jay"

"I-I'm sorry!", Young Jay shrinks into a corner, shielding himself, as if something bad is coming for him.

"What did I tell you about being sorry?", The mother throws the paper she's holding. It falls to the ground without a sound, but by the horrified expression on the younger boy's face, the weight it carries is a heavy burden.

The paper shows a number of red marks. It happens to be a report card, bleeding with unfavorable grades.

Is that why she's angry? Because of her son's poor grades?

"If you have the time to be sorry, you have the time to do better!", The mother reaches for young Jay and the boy struggles in her hold.
"No, mom, please! No owies! Please...! I'll study! I'll study hard. I promise!".

Melody felt her heart cracking to pieces as she watches the tears stream down the little boy's face.

SMACK!

"You insolent child!", Young Jay falls to the floor from a hard slap to the face.

"Mom, stop!", Young Jake throws away his sketchbook and then grabs onto his mother's hips. He does his best to pull her away, but what can a mere child do?

Young Jay continues to cry as he takes his mother's beatings, and young Jake laments his helplessness. What kind of mother would do such a thing?

Melody grips her clothes, unable to hold onto anything that might give her strength.

This is so sickening! I can't handle this. If it hurts this much for me, how much more for Jay and Jake?

How can they watch this?