Chapter 30

Melody goes through several books, strating from the lower shelf this time

Melody goes through several books, strating from the lower shelf this time. She couldn't risk falling again. "I hope there's something here."

But after a while she leaves the area, finding anything useful.

Ugh. Even if we narrow it down, there's still so much left. I wonder how Jay and Sunghoon are doing.

She walks over to the boxes stacked along the way, looking for her friends. "Sunghoon? Jay?". But nobody answers.

She decides where to go next, but the flap of a box distracts her. Her steps draw closer, wanting to know what's inside.

There was a notebook. Melody turns it around to look at the front.

Her heart skips a beat.

On the front cover, it said 'Heeseung's Diary'. Her hands shake hesistant to open the journal. It was bad to read someone's diary afterall. No matter how badly she wanted to read it, she couldn't invade a young boy's privacy.

She turns the journal in her hands and she tries to decide what to do. But something slips out from between the pages.

She picks it up. It was a letter. "To Melody. It's addressed to me?." The image of Heeseung as a little boy smiling at her comes to her mind. This letter is what Heeseung had been wanting to tell her. Could this be what he wanted to say before the experiment changed everything?

Exhaling gently, she carefully opens the envelope. She looks at the sloppy handwriting on the tattered old paper. You certainly can't call it near by any standard.

She feels like she's holding onto proof of Heeseung's existence.

"By the time you read this, i don't know if I'll be there with you."

It sounds like something a person would write before they die. It's painful to imagine what state of mind Heeseung was in when he wrote this as a kid.

"It's been a few months since we met."

She read the letter, and with each sentence she feels like she can hear Heeseung's voice.

"You've always had a sad look in your eyes. And I've always wondered what i can do to make you smile. You're so much more beautiful when you smile, Melody. And i always want to see you happy."

Melody feels an ache in her chest as she reads the messy words the young boy wrote for her.

"That's why, when Father said he found a way to make you feel better....I didn't hesitate to follow him. Father said this will be his first time doing this. And I'm a little scared, but i still want to see it through. Because even though we play a lot, we laugh a lot...there are still time when your eyes feel like they won't sparkle anymore.  And it hurts me.

It hurts me because i like you a lot. And i feel like i can't do anything for you. But i promise that I'll help take all your fears away. I'll do what i can to make your happiness a reality.

I said at the beginning of this letter that 'i don't know if I'll be there with you', but...

The experiment will definitely succeed, and i will wake up.

So please...."

The word 'wait for me' are crossed out. It's replaced with 'Don't forget about me. Enjoy your life.'

"This was Heeseung's final message before the experiment". Her tears fall from her eyes dropping onto the paper like rain. She was speechless. Her lungs felt like they were being squeezed.

She opens her mouth, gasping for air.

It hurts...

He knew what the risks were, but he still continued with the experiment.

He did it for me...

Her hands go limp, the letter falling to the ground. She needed to find him, before it's too late.

Time passes as they go through each file they find. There's still so many. Melody wasn't sure how much they've covered, but it seems never-ending.

"Mel, come here for a sec", Sunghoon pops up from the other side, waving his hand. "Look at these files." He takes out a folder filled with paperwork.

They scan through it together.

"This one's a check", Melody says.

"That's the governor's seal", Sunghoon replies. "The amount is insane. And they used it to fund Lee Hyun-woo's experiment?."

They flip another page and find even more specifics.

"Bluebells Orphanage, founded by Lee Hyun-woo...He really is Father."

"Look at this. This is a picture of all of us. That captions says 'Subjects'. "

"Classified: Bluebells Orphans to undergo trauma cleansing in new reasearch. The purpose of this experiment is to erase the traumatic memories from young children..."

"...and implant positive ones to help them live better lives. This will allow them to create a better world."

Sunghoon and Melody look at each other.

"This is all the info we've been looking for Melody", Sunghoon exclaims.

"Wait, there's more!. Trauma cleansing fails, Lee Hyun-woo in hot water. The subjects of the experiment lost their traumatic memories, but the experiment failed to create positive ones. Lee Heeseung, Lee Hyun-woo's own son, is said to be in a coma." Melody's jaw drops at what she just read.

Heeseung's in coma!? If he is in a coma, then that means he didn't die after the experiment. Then, is he still...

Is is safer to assume that he's still in the real world? It can't hurt to hope, right?

Melody clutches the paper in her hands.

Heeseung, i will find you.

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━