Chapter 27

They find Heeseung sitting right where they expected him to be

They find Heeseung sitting right where they expected him to be. He's sitting on the swing in the playground, eyes cast down on the ground.

"Heeseung!", Melody runs over to him. "I was worried about you. Why did you run off all by yourself?".

Heeseung looks up at her, exhausted. Does he feel responsible for what happened to Jake? "Sorry...for everything. It's all my fault."

"Y-You didn't get back your memories, did you?", Melody asks.

He shakes his head," I am sorry...."

"Heeseung, Listen", Melody sighs. "We need your help. We've tried connecting all the things we've found so far." She glances at Jay.

"Until I find out what's really happening, i can't trust you. But you're probably the one who can answer our questions. So i'm asking you to help us", Jay holds out his hand to Heeseung.

Heeseung apprehensively shakes Jay's hand. "I'll do my best to answer."

Sunghoon and Melody make eye contact and exchange a subtle smile of relief.

"Jake died because he couldn't accept his memories", Jay began.

"That's when we learned. If we reject our memories, the monster grows stronger", Sunghoon adds.

"I see", Heeseung nods. "That means, we have no choice but to accept the truth, then."

"If we want to survive, yes", Jay replies.

"Also Father's name....", Melody says, hesitating if she should say it to him. "It's Lee Hyun-woo", Jay says it out to him, not hesitating at all. "The name plate we found here and there line up with what we saw in our memories."

Heeseung doesn't say anything, but Melody notices him stiffening upon hearing the name.

"It seems that he's the founder of Bluebell orphanage. He's responsible for all these atrocities."

"Lee Hyun-woo", Heeseung looks ahead. "I—".

Suddenly, they can hear children giggle.

"Look, Melody that's you", Jay points. Melody's body instantly stiffens. "And Heeseung", Sunghoon completes.

The scene from Heeseung's memories unfolds before them.

"Melody! Look what I got", Little Heeseung yells excitedly. "Ah, but we shouldn't eat cookies after lunch", Little Melody frowns.

"Shhhh. Don't be so loud"

The young girl immediately covers her mouth with both hands. Then she leans closer to whisper. "We'll be in trouble if Father finds out."

"Oh, he won't be. I'm his real son, afterall."

What? Heeseung is Lee Hyun-woo's real son?

The two children share the cookies as they fade into the distance.