Chapter 17

Before long, they gather back in the lobby to discuss their findings

Melody sets down a photocopied page of the book she got. "It says here that the construction of Bluebells Orphanage began almost twenty years ago."

The picture is of an unfinished building with an address in the caption.

"We finally have an address. Good job!", said Jay.

"Oh, that's just right outside the city", Jake murmurs.

"So now we know the orphanage didn't really last long. Seven years give or take" Sunghoon mutters.

"I think i know why", Jake gestures for them to lean closer. He looks over his shoulder to see if anyone is nearby. "Okay, listen. I got this detail from Geddit. It's one of the websites blocked by the city, but i managed to dig into it somehow."

"So what did you find?", Jay asks.

"There's a whole thread of conspiracy theories about Bluebells. The user who started the thread claims that the orphanage was actually a front for conducting human experiments."

Melody holds her breath.

"That's sick, right?", Jake's whisper squeaks at a higher tone, as if he can't believe it either. "And this is creepy, but some people claimed that they can hear eerie groans within the grounds." He sits back and exhales.

They all look at each other.

"Human experiment?", She raises her brows.

"It sounds like something out of movie", Sunghoon comments.

First games...now movies? She had started to notice that he doesn't really take this life or death stuff too seriously.

"It sounds unrealistic, but it could be possible if you assume we all lost our memories around the same time", He continues.

"You actually think that?", Jake tilts his head.

Sunghoon folds his arms. "At this point, anything is possible."

Jay inhales sharply. "If it's true, then we might have been part of those experiments."

"That's...", Melody crosses her arms, hugging herself.

"In our case, it would seem our minds have been manipulated", Jay adds. "There are lots of studies about transferring, deleting or creating fake memories. The safest method is theoretically hypnosis, but there are also cases with rather gruesome techniques, and most of those were unsuccessful. Some people ended up dying."

Melody gasps, covering her mouth with both her hands in shock.

"That's inhumane. Who would ever think of doing that", Jake frowns.

"We'll have to investigate on site to get further into this", Jay suggests they go visit the orphanage, and others nod in agreement.

They take Jake's car for a drive to neighbouring town.