CHAPTER 29

Ryujin walks into her apartment's gym. It's been years since she stepped into a workout place. last time she went to this kind of place is when she had to prepare for a boxing match in high school.

"well, well. You're still in a good shape." A man greeted her.

"hey, Jongkook. You still look the same as well." Ryujin smiles at him, her old coach. "I want to get back in shape."

"that's great! Do you have another match or tournament to prepare for?" he asked, taking off his jacket to prepare for the workout.

"nope. I just think that I need it." Ryujin drops her bag and takes off her jacket as well. "can you go easy on me?"

"sure. it's been like... six? Seven years?" Jongkook chuckles. "of course, I'll make it easy."

Started with a warmup, Ryujin can keep up pretty well. Jongkook is impressed at her stamina. She's good for someone who hasn't work out for years. At least that's what he thought.

Halfway through the session, Ryujin starts to lose her spirits. Maybe because she got too excited at the first half. She starts to ask for a timeout and plops on the floor.

Only half an hour left, Ryujin's breathes heavily with each rep. she almost regretted her decision on this.

"c'mon, Ryujin. We're almost there." Jongkook cheered for her. "push it. I know it's hard. I know you can do it."

"fuck! I'm about to pass out. I can't." Ryujin groans. Ryujin keeps pushing.

"no you're not. I'm not giving you another break. We're almost there."

Ryujin drops the dumbbell as soon as her rep is over. She drops down, sitting on the floor with her legs straightened. Jongkook grabs her bottle of water and gives it to her.

"see?" you made it." He grabs her shoulder and squeezed it slightly. "I'll come back in two days."

"I need a month to rest." Said Ryujin while still panting heavily.

"do you want to change or not?" Jongkook sits beside her. "you're doing great today. I like your spirit." He paused. "you need to start eating a lot too."

"sure." Ryujin takes a deep breath and let it out.

"I you wanna live healthy again, you need to take care of your diet. Stop drinking, smoking, eating junks, just those bad things." Jongkook added. "drink a lot of water as well."

"yes, yes, I get it." Ryujin sighs. This won't be an easy road for her.

-

Ryujin visited Mrs. Kwon's restaurant this evening. As usual, the woman greets her warmly.

"you look tired. Are you sick?" Mrs. Kwon asked as she serves Ryujin with her homemade food.

"I'm just hungry." Ryujin starts to prepare for her meal.

"eat slowly. Is this your first food for today?" Mrs. Kwon giggles. "calm down-a."

"this is my third actually. I miss your food." Ryujin slows down.

"good, good. I'm happy you eat a lot." Mrs. Kwon looks at her proudly. "where is that woman? Your assistant."

"she's at home. Probably still working."

"she's the first one you brought here." Mrs. Kwon commented.

"she needs to know my whereabouts. She's my assistant." Ryujin replied briefly.

"bring more people here. You're the only customer I talk to." Mrs. Kwon sighs. "my children rarely visits me."

Ryujin stays silent, doesn't know how to respond to that. she has a little experience with her parents, anyway.

"I came here every day. you said I'm your daughter." Ryujin smiles.

"you are." Mrs. Kwon smiles, being grateful for Ryujin. "thank you, dear."

Ryujin thinks that the woman in front of her is the only reason that she can feel a glimpse of love from a mother. she too, feels grateful for Mrs. Kwon.

"thank you, mom." Ryujin looks down, feeling a lump on her throat as her lips tremble. She tries her best to contain her tears, preventing them to fall.

"why you cry? Don't cry-a. you are adult. No crying." Even when she said that, Mrs. Kwon walks up to Ryujin and hugs her from the side, letting her rests head on Mrs. Kwon's stomach.

In fact, Ryujin managed to not shed a single tear. She just stays there in the woman's embrace. This is nice, she thought.

"there, there. You can call me mom, mama, mother, whatever-a. you're shy, huh?" Mrs. Kwon chuckles.

"it feels weird." Ryujin looks up, smiling at her. "I need to get used to it again."

-

Yeji just got home from work. Entering her apartment, she's greeted by a girl that she talked to a week ago. They started living together and so far, Yeji found no problem with this girl.

"good evening, princess. Would you like set of steak and wine for your dinner?" the girl goofily said.

"stop that, Eunseo." Yeji giggles. "you're hilarious." She walks towards her and gives her a peck on the lips.

"so, do you want the steak or not?" Eunseo follows her to her bedroom then sits on the bed.

"sure." Yeji smiles.

"okay! I already made some for us. you finish up your change, I'll wait for you outside." Eunseo smiles, her eyes forms an upside down smile.

Yeji nods. This is going well for her. plus, Ryujin doesn't really 'bother' her anymore. She often noticed her at the bar, still, but, mostly, Ryujin just zoned out on something.

"it's still warm. I finished it off in the oven." Eunseo sets her phone aside.

"'thank you." Yeji sits across her. "looks nice."

"I made it with love." Eunseo wiggles her eyebrows.

"right." Yeji stifles a laugh and starts eating.

"too soon?" Eunseo chuckles and starts eating as well. "yeah, I thought so too."

"I'm used to your cheesy pickup lines."

"glad you do." Eunseo smiles a little. "I still have a lot."