76

"Look at your face!" Sirius laughed loudly, clutching the doorframe for support. "Walburga would've died if she saw her 'perfect little boy' like this! What do you think she'd say? Ohhh, I know! 'Why is my son fighting around like an uncivilised, savage ruffian?' Something like that, I guess. Dunno."

Regulus ignored his brother, quickly healing his split lip with an 'episkey.' There was something he was missing, he was sure about it. He sighed in frustration. After so many years, it was hard to pry something from his old friend. He was sure something was amiss, and he was ready to do whatever it took to find out. He'd know Shafiq since he was 11. He never liked fights and rebellions, always preferring to slide away. Why was he openly helping them in this war? There were clues scattered all around him, all he had to do was think ...

"Hey, did Aoife punch you? She's got a mean right hook. Another note to not mess with that woman." Which was tough to do with his brother annoyingly buzzing in his ear.

"Will you shut up?" he gritted his teeth. "It wasn't Fia. Why don't you go and bother her for a change?"

"I would love to, but the last time I did she threatened to pulverise me. Better not take any chances, little brother. Who punched you, if not Aoife? That new bloke, Shafiq?"

Regulus nodded, ready to slip out of the library and spy on 'that new bloke.' Sadly, Sirius blocked him every time.

"Why? Do I need to beat him up?" he cracked his knuckled threateningly. "Maybe me and Aoife can —,"

"No need, no need," Regulus impatiently cut him off. "Him hitting me was quite valid, from one point of view."

Sirius stared at him, gobsmacked. "Are you really defending the bloke who almost disfigured your face? Have you gone bonkers?"

"I said some out-of-order things, so I kind of deserved it. But it still doesn't ease my suspicions," Regulus muttered, mostly to himself.

"What sort of things?"

"Called him a Death Eater, insulted him a bit. And I got the results I wanted," the triumphant look on his face made Sirius shiver a bit.

"What results?" He'd never seen his brother like this. He looked almost like ... Bellatrix. Now he could see how they were related.

"I'll tell you when time comes," he said darkly, before slipping out of the door, Sirius too dazed to stop him.

Oh, my brother's going to do something he's going to regret big time.

*****

5th year, that was the key. I wanted to do that since 5th year. That was the year their friendship started falling apart. It was Regulus's 5th year. Shafiq had failed his NEWTS, and had to do his 7th year all over again. Something happened during that time. If Shafiq could be believed (just to give him the benefit of doubt) he wasn't a Death Eater, and still isn't, then there was something going on. But why was he in that specific section of the library, which was avoided by even their Defence professor, who was surely a Death Eater? He was missing quite a big chunk, and was determined to get it right.

First, Regulus thought as he flew down the stairs, was to find out what that section actually contained. Maybe his brother would know something, seeing as he and his minions were jumping around the castle like a bunch of monkeys. And there was something between Aoife and Shafiq, he was sure of that. Were they dating ...? 

Even though the thought made him quite uneasy (who would want their friend dating a supposed Death Eater?) he would have to look into it. Maybe he could get some information out of Aoife ...

He was outside the kitchen now, when a frenzied shriek broke his train of thoughts. "Oh, you idiot! You do not put vinegar in that. I here! Here!"

He groaned quietly, not wanting to storm in. It felt weird, in some way, even though he just wanted a glass of water. Maybe it was because of the flu ... who was he kidding? He did not want to crash a 'supposed' date, or whatever it was. His stomach clenched at the thought. Maybe he had indigestion too. It was best to just eavesdrop on their conversation, anyway. Maybe he'll learn something important.

"Where's your wife now?" he heard Aoife ask. Wait, he thought. Where did the wife come from? Guess that's what happens when you cut all ties with somebody.

"Oh, she's — she's with her mum. In Canada. I have some work to do here. After that I'm off," he heard Shafiq answer. Well, that's quite an information bomb.

"Hey," a quiet whisper caused him to jump 5 feet in the air. "Why are we listening to Aoife and Shafiq boring and monotonous talk about something?" It was his brother.

Sirius knew Regulus was up to no good, and decided to step up to the big brother role for once in his life, leading him here, crouched next to his brother, listening to Aoife rant about Canada.

"It's called gathering information. I'll brief you later. Just keep your mouth shut," Regulus whispered back, sneaking a look into the kitchen.

This time, his heart jumped 5 feet in the air. (He really needed a Healer, right?). Aoife was there, laughing at something Shafiq had said. Her hair was in her usual ponytail, her forehead streaked with cake mix. Her green eyes were shining brightly, and her nose was scrunched up in half-hearted disapproval. "You really shouldn't have done that." She just looked so beautiful ... in a platonic way, of course.

"Are we just going to stay here, ogling her or are you going to explain?" Sirius's impatient voice snapped him back to reality.

"I wasn't ogling her," he said defensively. Sirius just rolled his eyes. "C'mon, let's get to the small parlour. I'll tell you everything."