18

The Marauders sat brooding in the drawing room, while Euphemia and Fleamont were tending to Regulus.

"What do you think happened guys? He honestly looks worse than Sirius when he-you know..." James spoke up, breaking the silence.

"Well," Remus started. All eyes were on him now. "We all know about you-know-who right? And how Padfoot's parents are such ardent supporters. Maybe he didn't want to join,, and ran away?"

James sat there, processing what Remus had said. Sirius on the other hand, didn't even look like he was paying attention.

"Hey Pads, what's wrong?" James asked, seeing Sirius so hung up about something.

"I should've dragged him here with me that night James," Sirius muttered, pulling his precious hair, hard. "I wouldn't have had to see this day. Did you see him? What did they do--it seems as if they've changed the punishments a bit," Sirius gave a weak sort of chuckle.

"Don't blame yourself mate," this time it was Remus who comforted him. "I don't have a sibling, but even if I did, I don't think I'll understand your predicament. It's just-"

"What in Merlin's name is a predicament?" James butted in.

Remus rolled his eyes. "A dilemma," he answered. "Anyways," he pressed on, shooting James a glare as he opened his mouth. "I think it's better we ask Mr and Mrs Potter what happened. They seemed informed about his arrival."

Sirius nodded slowly, while James opened his mouth again. "What's a dilemm-"

This time he was cut off. By the kitchen's door.

"He's fine now," Euphemia announced, causing some of the tension on Sirius's shoulders to relax. Fleamont appeared after his wife, muttering angrily to himself. "Darn that stupid git!"

"What happened dad?" James jumped up. Always the nosey deer, Remus shook his head like a disappointed dad (which he probably was. The dad of the marauders. After all, have you ever seen them?)

Fleamont glanced at Euphemia, who gave him an encouraging look.

"Well, you all know I went to Hogwarts at one point of time," Fleamont started. James opened his mouth to say something but quickly shut up at the matching glares his mother and Remus sent at him. Sirius was uncharacteristically quiet, and stared at Fleamont intently.

"Uh, when I was at Hogwarts, there were Slytherins," Fleamont continued. Everybody listening (except Sirius) felt like facepalming.

"Can you get to the point Fleamont?" Euphemia Potter asked.

"I was friends with a Slytherin," Fleamont stated bluntly. This caused Sirius to give a start and James to stare incredulously at his father. "Are you serious?"

"I think he is Jamesy boy," Fleamont chuckled, pointing at Sirius. "It was his father."

At this Sirius looked at Fleamont Potter as if he'd just murdered his favourite kittens. "You were friends with my father?"

"Hehe...yeah. We were like you two, inseperable, and had quite a strong brotherly bond," at this he received quite a few disbelieving looks, and even Remus looked shocked.

"Are you sure that's my father, Orion Black the third you're talking about?" Sirius asked, quite surprised.

"Yes, you remind me of him. He was just like you, a cocky arrogant boy, with a butchered up sense of humour. But he was cold and calculating too, full of ambition. Probably why he got Slytherin. Anyways," he pressed on silencing those who opened their mouth with an impatient hand wave. "When he came of age, he was offered two paths, to become a death eater or to marry Walburga," Fleamont gagged a bit at her name. "Guess what he did," he waited a second, but no-one spoke. "After the marriage, he just changed. Became quite quiet and unobtrusive. But was determined to help me, and let slip a few of Voldemort's schemes. He got caught today, trying to save Regulus. That git," he shook his head.

"I don't think you have any right to call me a git Fleamont," a slightly amused voice sounded from the doorway of the kitchen. "You were the bad boy who got into fights and detentions."

Fleamont turned around and his mouth opened in a perfect O. Sirius was dumbstruck. "Orion?"