46

Sirius quickly grabbed Aoife by her wrist, and everyone simultaneously apparated out of the chapel. Aoife felt as if she was being forced through a rubber tube, her lungs constricting till the point she couldn't breathe. As suddenly as it started, it stopped. She was on her knees, inhaling lungfuls of air gratefully. It took her a few minutes to realise they weren't at the chapel now; she was kneeling on cool grass, wet from recent rain. The cold wind whipped her hair around her face. Quickly spitting out a few strands from her mouth, she scrambled upright, starting at the sudden pressure on her shoulder. Turning around, she saw Sirius look at her worriedly.

"You're alright?" he asked, steadying her when she slipped a bit.

"I'm fine," she smiled. "Didn't catch your name. Anybody's really - except that one cloaked lady."

"I'm Sirius, Sirius Black. Wonderful to meet you." Then, in a very exaggerated manner, Sirius kissed the back of Aoife's hand and tipped an imaginary hat. She gave a little chuckle, and was again startled by a sudden voice.

"We need to talk. Now."

This curt order was issued by Belladonna, and all present Quirods, along with the Black brothers and Aoife, gathered under the tree present.

"We need your help in eliminating the Inferi, as we are currently bound by ancient magic," Belladonna grimaced. The other two Quirods were circling the group, not doubt keeping an eye out for the Inferi.

"But one thing I don't understand," Sirius interrupted, "is why are the Inferi after us? What do we have to do with them? They aren't even much powerful, they're just corpses."

"Excuse me," Aoife interposed. "Did you just say corpses?"

"They are powerful," Regulus said blankly. "They have much more power than mere corpses."

Sirius looked at his brother, nonplussed. Regulus looked haunted, as if having to relive something he would've gladly forgotten.

"What are these corpses?" Aoife asked again.

"Inferi are generally known to wizards as 'corpses re-animated by Dark Magic.' The truth is hidden from all of you, like the truth about us Quirods was hidden. We aren't some puppets of Merlin. That old man only consulted us. One day he decided to get rid of us and trapped our kind. The same goes for the Inferi," Belladonna spoke up. Sirius and Aoife looked interested, while Regulus looked quite dubious.

"Do you not believe me?" Belladonna noticed Regulus's expression.

"There is no mention of such things in any book available. How can we take your word for it?" Regulus asked.

"Don't include us mate," Sirius interjected, casually slinging an arm around Aoife, "we've already taken her word for it."

Regulus just shot his brother an irritated look, his gaze lingering on the arm thrown around Aoife.

"There are many things left undocumented. Especially when it comes to magical history and mythology. You should know this Regulus Black, given the number of times your books have failed you."

Regulus looked remotely abashed. Nodding slightly to show he had conceded to Belladonna's point, he fell silent. She smiled slightly, and turned her attention to the others again.

"We will be needing Dumbledore soon, but not now. It is imperative to eliminate the threat Inferi pose."

"Dumbledore?" Sirius seethed. "That old geezer killed mum and dad!"

"Oh," Aoife said. "Both your parents are dead?"

"No. My mother's still alive," Regulus said bitterly with a scalding glare directed towards his brother.