Chapter 78 - Waiting for the End

Start from the beginning

"Hey, watch it you ass... Oh..." The bald man stops short as he realizes the kind of man in front of him. 

"Still keeping up with your delusions without minding your back, I see," Boris says. Even as the bald man tries to raise his voice, Boris' presence is enough to make him tremble in response and guard his gun back as he heads back to the door, leaving wide eyes and avoiding eye contact with Boris as he exits. 

This prompts the other Human guard to stop their activity as they see the one entering the room, and make them leave one by one, avoiding eye contact with Boris. None are too eager to see the eyes of someone who could break their bodies in a matter of seconds. Some Zlocans chuckle in response while adjusting their monitors and pads in front of them, showing images of prisoners and escorted weapons and everything the Zlocan can maintain inside the prison. 

"So, guess you need something to share with us, Boris?" a female Zlocan asks. 

"Only with one, you need to secure the perimeters in this place. No one would like it if an unauthorized fight breaks out, would it?" Boris says with a raspy tone. This statement alone is enough to make the guards grab their guns and other equipment as they head to the exit for their other duties. All except the male Zlocan guard from earlier, who only stares at Boris while keeping his posture in check. It's almost like a grand gesture of admiration he holds toward him, in spite of their different natures. 

And yet, still without a trace of a faint smile on his face.

"Fighting as usual, I see," the male guard says as he lets Boris take a seat in the chair next to him. Boris only lets out a faint chuckle in response. 

"As much as I do towards delusional weaklings." The Zlocan guard chuckles as well as he walks around the room. 

"You do get the gist after all." He then leans near a wall on his back. "You both know the talk and the walk compared to those other Inquisitors, who sometimes can't even have the talk at all." 

"Not that the rest are that good with it either." Boris shrugs. 

"Right then... Although given what we've observed, it can't be helped at all." 

"How it doesn't help, you say?" Boris asks while slightly turning around to face the guard while staying put. 

"Weaklings, the usual stuff." 

"I think there's more to that." The Zlocan guards sighs in response while tapping on his rifle. More than that he asks. What could it be? 

"That we're honestly seeing better results with the Reborn than with normal Inquisitors, is what I meant." 

"Ah, yes. On that I agree with." Boris chuckles again for a bit. He knows it well in terms of the results overseen by him on that part. Yet, there's more to it than what other Inquisitors and Zlocans can think of. 

"Yeah, especially the conscious ones. It makes us glad when they finally drop all those pretensions and delusions about 'race' and 'alphas' and all that nonsense. Power and evolution is the only thing they need." The guard checks on his pad, showing a list of crossed out names for former Inquisitors, likely ones sent to the assembly of conversion for transformation into Reborn, as well as the percentage between those who kept their consciousness and others who do not. 

"And yet, we still need to stomp other delusions than that," Boris adds, turning away for a bit as the Zlocan checks his list. 

"Believe me, this is a fitting punishment for having to force their embarrassing ramblings on us, almost like they believe we'd take it the same as the rest of Humans did." The guard then scoffs while keeping the pad close to his shoulder, with a representative high chin even underneath his helmet. It's almost as if he could want something more in regard to the Reborn and others. Something a whole lot stronger. "On the bright side, they stop when they're with us."