A Hard Question

Copia turns right at the end of the halls, much to Swiss' confusion. He jogs the few steps to catch up and leans down to whisper in his ear.

"Uh, Boss? Your room is the other way?"

"Si, I know that. Seth has been asking questions. No doubt he will be trying to follow us as well to seek those answers. So we go to the practice rooms as long as there is no emergency."

Swiss shrugs and nods, following behind the Cardinal. Reaching the staircase at the end, they descend two levels and pass through a set of metal and glass doors marked "Practice Hall".

Several closed doors later they enter one labeled "Ghost Project". Inside the spacious room several guitars and basses rest on stands against the wall. A large drum kit is set up in the middle of the floor, electric keyboards to the right of it.

Copia sits on one of the empty chairs and runs a gloved hand through his hair.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with that boy," he says to Swiss with a sigh. "He's too inquisitive for his own good."

"You trust him though, right? I mean, you basically raised him."

"Si. But the girls, they need protection. For now, the less that know of them the better. I don't know what I'm going to tell Imperator."

"You'll think of something, I'm sure." Swiss sits on a sturdy equipment case after pulling his acoustic from its stand. His fingers dance along the strings as he plucks a series of notes.

"Is everything alright? You weren't urgent in going to my chambers so the girls are fine, yes?"

"Yeah. It looks like Annie is healing faster than we anticipated, but shows no sign of waking any time soon."

"What about Lilit? No trouble this morning I hope?"

"She's worried. Keeps clinging to Mountain, especially with you not there. Kind of adorable really. But she keeps asking for you."

Copia smiles, nodding in agreement. He listens to Swiss play a couple more tunes. Muffled bells sound out four lingering tolls marking the hour.

Copia stands and gives a small stretch before stepping to the door and peering into the hall.

"We should be okay now. But let's take the long way, si?"

Swiss nods and returns his guitar to its stand before following the Cardinal back down the hall to the stairs.

It takes twice as long taking this alternate route, but they hardly encounter anyone else. It wasn't until the hall his rooms were located that they came upon familiar masked Ghoulettes.

"Cirrus, Sunshine, what can I do for you ladies?" Copia asks with a smile. The girls turn and give their own smiles, bowing their heads slightly.

"Cardinal, we were bringing some clothes for the girls. We meant to send them earlier but got a little sidetracked," Cirrus tells him, holding out a large bag.

"Grazie, miei cari. So thoughtful. I'm sure Lilit will appreciate this."

"It's no trouble, sir. When do you think she would be up for more visitors?"

"I can't wait to meet her!" Sunshine pipes up, clapping her hands excitedly.

"I shall ask if she's up to it. For now could I ask you two to prepare some dinner for us? I'm afraid my little kitchen isn't prepared to host so many of you."

"That won't be a problem. Any requests?" Cirrus asks as she tries to get her companion to settle her excitement.

"I trust your culinary judgment. Surprise us!'