————

A few days later I get a hand written letter in the mail. A letter from Jason Gideon.

Dear Danika,
I'm sorry you're finding this out in a letter, but I wanted to make sure you were the first to know. I'm leaving the BAU effective immediately. It's something I've thought long and hard on, and know in my heart that it's the right thing to do for myself.

I want you to know that none of this is your fault. I want to say that again, just in case you glossed over it. NONE OF THIS WAS YOUR FAULT. In fact, if it wasn't for you I don't know if we would've ever caught Frank in the first place.

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have been able to find humor in this job, again. I want you to know you restored a long burnt out candle in me when you called me Frumpy in thar interrogation room in New York, and then joined the team. You helped me face my fear of failure and reminded me of why I do this. So thank you.

I'm going to miss your pranks and jokes, your bluntness and even your potty mouth. I'm going to miss coming over to the apartment and watching old movies with you, or just staying up late talking. Staying in the building late and watching really old films on my original projector, laughing up a storm even though we watched it multiple times. I'll cherish those moments forever.

I want you to remember who you are now, because everyone can change. You proved that to me when you joined the team.

Again, I'm sorry to do this in a letter, but with your gift I know you will be able to feel the sincerity of my words. I may be leaving, but I'll never be completely gone. I want you to know that I consider you like a daughter to me.

I'm leaving you with my gun and Badge, hide them if you want. I just want to know that they're with someone I trust. I'm going to miss you dearly and I only hope the best for you.

And remember, it's not your fault.

~Love Jason Gideon

Morgan's POV:
Strauss boards the plane and I can only roll my eyes when she acts like she knows what she's doing. I place a picture of one of the victims down in front of her and she looks like she's about to hurl.

We get to the crime scene and Strauss ends up disrespecting the detective on the case within the first minute. I just shake my head as JJ tries to talk to Strauss and it completely backfires.

"Hey, do you know where Danika is?" Prentiss asks me after she's done talking with one of the detectives.

"Haven't seen her in a few days. I think she's taking an extra week. I can't really blame her." I shrug and Prentiss nods her head.

"Yeah, I don't know how I'd react if I saw the person who kidnapped me, jump in front of a train, after professing that he saw me like a daughter either." Prentiss sighs and I clench my jaw remembering it all quite clear and vividly.

I walk away and call Hotch and tell him that Strauss isn't working well with the team.

"How's Danika? Giving Strauss a hard time?" Hotch asks and I furrow my brows.

"Danika's not here." I say and there's a pause.

"The suspension was only two weeks, it's been three." He states confused.

"Guess she needed a bit more time. Maybe she's with Gideon, he's not here either." I explain.

"Yeah, maybe. Okay, each abduction a body drop was fifteen minutes before or after school got out. We could be looking at someone who works in the school system." Hotch suggests.