A Fork In The Road

Start from the beginning

"Well then, maybe I should go get some things from the market." Jessica says.

"Okay, and Abra and I'll be heading in Scarlett Meadows near Rhoades, there's this area full of great game. We'll head to a trapper on the way back, your father requested for a brand-new hat." Miriam laughs, as well as Jessica.

"That sounds like him alright." The younger woman says then she moves to side hug both of them before they part ways, "Alright, I should be back here by late afternoon, see yah then."

"Of course, take care, darlin'." Miriam says.

They part ways and mounted their own horses.

Back in prison, the inmates were at the courtyard doing different activities. Some are playing sports and some are just lying about. John and Jesse are the ones who're just lying about, trying to pass the time near the gate. Then, John had to go to the bathroom... Just because.

There was obviously a guard up there, but Jesse noticed Milliken being made fun of by the other guards, it was said that his superior officer had to put him on probation... All because he wasn't focused enough to keep an eye on the prisoners who almost got out of the main gates a few nights before.

Jesse turns to the guard next to him, "What's the deal with him?" he said as he nods to Milliken's direction.

The guard looks and chuckles, "Who? Him? What do you mean?"

"I mean, he don't look like he belongs here."

"Heh, tell me about it." the guard said.

"So... Why's he here?" Jesse finally asks.

Then the guard turns to him with an amused, but accusing look. "Are you up to something? I'll have you know that I ain't as dumb aa Milliken there, you can't be friendly with me and expect me to get you out of here."

Jesse raises a brow and smirks. "Heh, first of all, I'm always up to something, and second... I know you ain't stupid, I just wanna know because 'Milliken' really sounds familiar."

The guard raise both his brows and just nods, "Alright then." he then stands next to Jesse.

Jesse leans in a bit.

"You see, more than twenty years ago, Milliken's father was found dead in a hotel room back in Illinois."

With that, Jesse's eyes widened and flashback washed over him... That's why the name was so familiar.

"He was found with a bashed face and a bloody lamp next to the bed. His things were taken, money, everything... And they never found the one who did it... Now, Milliken wants to find who killed his father, but was too yellow to go further than a prison guard... "

The guard explained... Jesse was so stunned at what he just heard. What a small world indeed. The outlaw was about to speak, when the guard spoke first.

"I'd say the bastard deserved it... He did things to my brother, he did and Milliken wouldn't believe me... And I swear, the last time I saw the asshole, he was lookin' at me... We were twelve..." he added.

"You were friends with-" Jesse gets cut.

"No, hell no... I don't even care to know his first name... We were just, neighbors... But when my brother, who was ten by the way, came home crying, he couldn't speak... All we heard was James Milliken... His teacher... Touched him..." then the guard shifts, "And I love my brother, and I know him more than myself... I know he ain't lying... Word got out and he was sent somewhere else to teach... Next thing I know, he was dead..." he then smiled... "I've never been happier. But with my brother? He was never the same again... I hope that bastard burns in hell... And God bless the man who killed him..."