Brothers In Crime

It had been three weeks. Three weeks of Jesse living alone in this world, huge country and big state of Illinois. He kept the money that he took from James and adding to that, he started working on some jobs in local towns. As a simple worker, carrier, he even participated a little bit in construction just to get a few bucks. He saved enough to buy his stolen horse it's own saddle.

He had just turned twelve and decided that he needed to do more to live, so he started pickpocketing. He is not very good at it, he got caught a few times and everytime was a close call to hanging him. Thankfully, he is good at talking, especially at talking his way out of a bad situation.

The boy encountered a very rude man at the post office and decided to swipe a few items from the man. Again, he get's caught, he is not a good thief as you can tell.

"I never took anything from you mister, I'm a good boy." Jesse said.

"I lost a golden pocket watch and a few cents, and you're the only one who bumped into me!" The man said accusingly, almost causing a scene in the area.

"But mister, did you see me take them?" Jesse asked.

"Wha- n-no. I-" The man stammered as Jesse continued his argument.

"And you think it's right to accuse an innocent little boy of that?" Jesse came closer "And between you and me, an innocent looking boy. Who do you think they'll believe? Hmm?" Jesse whispered, menacingly while his knife slowly digs in the man's stomach, since they were close, the knife was not seen in the public eye. "You either leave me alone, or I let you bleed out here, and with your attitude, how many do you think will help you if I did?"

The man shakily nodded "I-I'll leave you alone." he said. Jesse smiled and backed away, then patted the man's shoulder.

"No harm done mister! I understand!" Jesse said as he left the building and rode to a nearby fence.

But not all situations end up like that. Sometimes it ends up like this one. Apparently, Jesse got caught, for real and his charming words cannot get him out of this situation. The man he had robbed chased him around town and out of it. Jesse snapped the reigns on his horse so hard, he actually felt bad for the animal.

"C'mon boy, just this time." He whispered to his mount.

"HEY GET BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT!" The man behind him yelled.

Jesse panicked and his horse went faster finally going off the road. He's had a good distance between him and the man, and he finally lost him in the woods. Jesse rode until he could not hear the man's voice in the distance, which led him to almost hitting a tree near a small homestead.

The boy pulled the reigns and admired the structure before him 'Doesn't look occupied.' he thought as he slowly circled the stead. He looked back at the direction where he came from and didn't hear from anyone, so he dismounted and grabbed his pistol.

He entered the stead, it was dark and only a lamp on a table was the source of light in the room. He entered, while his pistol was raised in case anyone was in the cabin. He saw a few meat and other food on the table and he went off guard to grab the supplies. The moment he turned back around, a cock of a gun was heard and he's faced with a figure, with a pistol raised to him.

He raised his hands in silent surrender.

"Look, I'm sorry I intruded in your home mister, but I'm just an orphan and I am quite hungry and no one to help me-" He gets cut off by a voice, almost the same range as his.

"That bullshit don't work on me." Finally, a boy emerged from the shadows. A boy the same height as him, probably the same age as well. He has shoulder length dark hair, and a scar on his lip.