Chapter 96

Bear-san Goes To See Cliff

When I arrived at the Feudal Lord’s mansion, I told the guard, who I remembered seeing before, that I wanted to see Cliff.

He let me pass immediately, and I was able to meet Cliff just like that.

Did Cliff have too much free time?

"That’s rare, for you to ask for me and not Noa."

"You see, someone requested that I give this to you."

I gave him the letter that Grandpa Kuro gave me.

Cliff, who accepted it, looked over it immediately.

When he finished reading the letter, he sighed.

"Just what are you doing… Defeating a Kraken by yourself, that’s just not possible, is it?"

"The fact that I killed it was included?"

Even though I asked Atora-san to keep it a secret…

"They didn’t say that you did it, but that a lone adventurer killed it. Everyone who knows you would know that you were the one who did it!"

He said, looking exasperated.

He was right. Cliff, who knew that I had killed 10,000 monsters and a worm, would know who the message was referring to.

Still, Grandpa Kuro… You couldn’t have found a better way of concealing it?

"It’s not like I killed it because I like killing things, you know. The Kraken was blocking my path, so I got rid of it, that’s all there is to it."

My path = the path to rice.

"’Blocking my way’… You, what sort of a supreme ruler are you? Are you on your way to dominate the world?"

"I won’t do something so troublesome."

"You are not saying that you can’t do it, huh."

"It’s impossible for me."

I really didn’t plan on doing it.

What was fun about controlling the world?

I would prefer taking a nap over doing something that troublesome.

"Well then, what worries me more than Yuna are the contents of the letter."

"What is written inside?"

They explained things to a certain extent, but they didn’t say what they would write inside the letter.

"To summarize, they wrote about everything that happened this month, and are willing to pay taxes if they are allowed to enter our province. I really can’t imagine the things you did inside of that city…"

After he said the last part, he looked into the distance.

"Did they really write that much about me?"

"They wrote that an adventurer saved them by donating food, subjugating a bandit group with the help of four others, rescuing the people who were captured, and finally, killing the Kraken as well. Yet, she didn’t ask for any monetary compensation… They never wrote your name, so you don’t have to worry."

What was okay about it?

At least people who didn’t know about me wouldn’t be able to link all of those events to me. They would have to know me as well as Cliff did to find out.

"Well, leaving you aside, it’s more important to consider how we will speak with them. We would have to meet with each other to discuss this, won’t we? Yet, their city doesn’t have a Mayor. For now, the ones who are tending to the matters of the city are three old men, and the Guild Master is assisting them. It would be a terrible thing to do to make old men like them come here."