Chapter 112

Bear-san Goes To The Ryokan-style Bear House

Author’s note:

There’s an important announcement in the afternote.

The two children were eating Deiga-san’s food happily.

I also became happy, seeing them like this.

While I was eating my meal and looking at the two, Anzu spoke to me.

"So, Yuna-san, what ingredient did you want? Should I prepare it for you?"

Anzu asked.

"I don’t think it’s something that’s being sold, so you might not be able to find it."

"It isn’t being sold?"

"I have never seen it being sold anywhere, after all."

"Still, you can find it near this city, right?"

"Yes, I saw some on the mountain."

"What sort of ingredient is it?"

Deiga-san, who was interested about the ingredient, entered the conversation.

"Bamboo shoots."

"Bamboo shoots? What are those?"

"Do you know about the bamboos that grow on the mountain? It’s like a green pipe."

"Well, I know about bamboos at least. How would you be able to eat something that hard?"

When I heard those words, I finally understood.

They didn’t know what bamboos were like before they grew from the earth.

No one had ever thought about digging up the bamboos before they grew.

Likewise, if I didn’t know about it, I wouldn’t think that eating it was possible just by looking at a bamboo.

"That’s not it. I’m talking about the bamboo shoots. The bamboos before they grow."

"You can eat such a thing?"

"It’s tasty, you know. You can cook it with rice, or just boil it as it is, or even cook it with other ingredients. There are a lot of different ways of eating it."

My main aim was the Bamboo Shoot Rice.

"Is it difficult to harvest bamboo shoots?"

"It’s difficult, but even children can harvest them if they do their best."

"Okay, I get it. I will come too!"

Deiga-san said.

"Father!?"

"There’s an ingredient near here that I, a chef, don’t know about. If we knew about it during the time the Kraken was here, it could have become food, you know!"

"You have a point, but what will do you about the inn?"

"It will be okay even if I’m not here for a day."

"That’s impossible! Big Bro will go to the sea, and it will be impossible to manage all the customers with just mom and me."

"We will go to harvest it when the sun rises, so it won’t take the whole day."

"That early?"

"Bamboo shoots taste better if you harvest them in the early hours, after all."

I told them what I vaguely remembered seeing on a TV program about bamboo shoots.

It had said that it was better to harvest bamboo shoots early in the morning.

It had said that both taste and fragrance were better that way. They turned bitter when the sun shone upon them, so you had to harvest them before the sun rose too high.