Chapter 38

Bear-san Exterminates A Snake

Several hours after switching to Hugging Bear, we changed to Swaying Bear one last time.

As the sun began to set, the village came into sight.

Swaying Bear gradually reduced its pace as we carefully entered the village.

It was quiet inside.

There wasn’t a single sound, just like a ghost town.

Annihilation.

That unpleasant word crossed my mind.

"Guys, are you there!? It’s me, Kai! I’ve returned!"

Kai shouted at the village.

However, nobody came out.

No, the door for one house suddenly opened.

"Kai?"

A man came out of the house.

"Pops! What about mum and all the other villagers?!"

"Your mom is safe, but greatly weakened, since she has hardly eaten anything for the past few days."

"What about the other villagers?"

"They just won’t come out."

"Why?!"

"That monster reacts to sound. The Erumina family tried to run away and were eaten. Rondo went to draw water at the well and was also eaten. That’s why, nobody wants to leave their house, since they might be eaten."

"Then, talking here is also…"

"Yes, it’s dangerous out here."

"In that case, pops-"

"But, somebody needs to do something, for Domogoru’s sake."

"Domogoru-san?"

"When I was helping you get on the horse to go call for help, Domogoru acted as a decoy and was killed."

"Domogoru-san was…"

"That’s why, if you came back, I wanted to ask you about the situation in order to decide what to do from now on. That’s the only thing we can do in memory of Domogoru’s sacrifice."

"Pops…"

"So, is that missy the only one who could help?"

Kai’s father looked in my direction.

As usual, I had the appearance of a bear.

His expression suggested disappointment.

"This big sis came first, for the sake of collecting information. The guild master will come later. They said that rank C adventurers will be dispatched after that."

"I see, how long will it take them to arrive?"

"Thanks to this lady’s summoned beasts, we took half a day to get here from the city, but the guild master said that he would take two days. I don’t know when the other adventurers will come."

"I see. Missy, what are you going to do?"

"I’ll gather information first, though, if it’s possible, I’ll defeat it."

"That joke is neither funny nor appropriate. I don’t know if it’s even possible to defeat that thing, much less you being able to defeat it."

The father vehemently spat out his words.

"That’s for me to decide, not you. Any information you have about the Black Viper would be useful, so tell me."

"I don’t have much information. It came to the village to eat early in the morning. After it destroyed a house and ate all of the inhabitants, it left. Anyone who tried to escape from the village after that was eaten. Also, those who made a lot of noise were eaten first."