Chapter 7

I see Oli staring outside the window to the backyard when I return to the living room. I see that it isn't raining so I thought why not go outside. "We can go outside Oli. But we have to change you into warmer clothes" He nods as he follows after me back to his nursery. I put him in some sweatpants, they are a little big but they will work for now, and I try to put a sweatshirt over him but he starts to whine saying that he won't be able to see his dino shirt. "Oli, daddy needs to get a sweatshirt on you so you don't get cold and get sick. When we come back inside, you can take it off and you can see your dino shirt again. I pinky promise" I hold out my pinky to him and he takes it with his pinky. I slip the sweatshirt over his head and put on new rain boots. We head out of the nursery and towards the back door, I bring his blanket as he demanded it be brought with us outside, and I open it for him. I grab myself a sweatshirt and slip it on. He runs out onto the grass as I look up towards the sky, it has become cloudier so it might rain soon. I see Oli tie his blanket around his neck to create a cape as he runs around the yard. I sit down on the bench we have outside with my hands in my sweatshirt pockets. This would be the perfect time to smoke, I think, but never around Oli I remind myself. I notice that he had brought out his dino toy, without me noticing, as he makes it eat mouths full of dirt. I chuckle at that and pull out my phone to text my friend Austin, the one who runs the daycare inside of his home. I text him telling him that I have to return to work next week and if he would be willing to take Oli on short notice. He responds back fairly quickly,

Hey Seb! I don't mind at all. You can drop off Oliver Monday morning when you leave for work. I'll see you then! Thanks for the heads up!

I am relieved to know that Oliver will have some where to go when I go to work and with somebody I've known for a long time. I put my phone back in my pocket and focus my attention back on Oli. He seems to have changed his interest to shoving his hands in the dirt and making mud piles. He will be having a bath tonight for sure. I see it starting to sprinkle so I call Oli over. I let a tiny yawn as he runs up to me with his mud-covered hands holding his blanket and dinosaur toy. "Okay baby boy. Time to go back inside since it's going to rain soon" He gives a small pout but I lead him inside, I take off his boots and set them on the tile by the door. I grab his blanket and his dino toy, setting them on the kitchen table under a towel.

I pick him up and carry him to the bathroom, "Okay Oli baby time to take a bath" I open the bathroom door and set him on the toilet seat as I turn on the water. I take off his sweatshirt and sweatpants along with his diaper. I make sure the water is warm and set him in the tub. Before he can put his muddy hands in the water, I wet a washcloth and wipe his hands. I grab his bath toys and let them float in the water to keep him distracted. I grab some shampoo, conditioner, and sensitive skin body wash. I wet his hair with the water and he giggles when I pour it over his head. He squeezes the ducky so all of the water falls back into the tub. I lather his hair in shampoo, massaging his scalp and he leans into my hands. I smile as I rinse out the shampoo. As I am putting in the conditioner, he starts to talk about his toys and what he wants to eat for dinner. He is starting to open up to me more about what he wants which is what I want at home but in public as well, he doesn't fully understand he needs to replicate that behavior. After I rinse out the conditioner, I quickly wash his body as his fingers were becoming prunes. I take his hand and lead him out of the tub, draining the water as I do so. And wrapping him in a towel. I take a second towel and rub it on his head to dry and dry his hair as much as possible. He looks up at me giggling and I pick him up to get him dressed. I lay him on the changing table to get him into a new diaper, he tried grabbing at my hair and he thinks it is the funniest thing in the world. I tickle his tummy and grab his teether. "Don't pull on my hair Oli. Use your teether" He grabs his teether and puts it in his mouth. I get him into a new diaper, his dino shirt, but when it came to pants, he whined and fussed. I did not want to argue with him about it so I let him go pant less plus it would be easier to check his diaper.

As we leave the nursery, Oli is grabbing some toys from his box and looks distressed, "What's wrong Oli?" He looks at me, 'Dino toy gone" He says with a sad voice. "Oli your dino toy is on the kitchen table. I need to clean it first" He perks up and with that he runs out of the nursery to the kitchen table, where he is trying to reach for it. I take the toy with me to the kitchen and run it under some water to clean off the mud that was sticking to it. I hand it back to him all clean and he takes it to the living room. I decide to start dinner which was going to be chicken noodle soup, per Oli's request, and I pull out all of the necessary ingredients. I pour the chicken stalk into a pot and let it simmer while I cut up the vegetables. I pour the cut-up vegetables and add it to the soup. As I let it simmer, I throw his blanket and sheets from the other night into the washer. I sir the soup and turn off the stove to let it cool before pouring it into a bowl. I set it on the table as I pick up Oli. He whines not wanting to be taken away from his toys and I set him in his highchair. He whines looking back at his dino toy and looking back at me. "I made you the soup you wanted Oli" He looks into the bowl and smiles. He makes grabby hands towards the soup. I wait for him to tell me what he wants. He looks at me, "What do you want Oli? Use your words" He whines and kicks his feet making more aggressive grabby hands, taking out his teether. "Soup! Pwease" I smile at him, "Good boy. That's all you had to do to let me know what you wanted" I offer him a spoon full and he takes it happily. I keep feeding him until I hear the washer beep signaling that it is done and I quickly make my way over to the washer, pulling everything out and putting it in the dryer. I head back over to Oli, where he is waiting patiently for more soup, I sit down at the table and feed him more of the soup. Once it is all gone, I take the bowl and put it in the sink. I lift Oli out of his highchair, setting him on the ground where he immediately runs over to his dino toy wanting to play. I head back to the kitchen to clean up and I load the dish washer. I lean against the counter and I decide to check on the dryer. All of the material are dry so I take them out and set his blanket on the couch. I take the sheets to the nursery and put the new ones on so his crib is ready to go for bedtime tonight.

I check the time,7:30. Time flies so quick with Oli. I don't mind it so much as long as I amhappy and Oli is taken care of. I lean on the wall as I exit the nursery andwatch him play for a little bit before I sit next to him. I rub his back andhear him talk to his toys behind his teether. I stay like that for a littlewhile. I notice he starts rubbing his eyes with his fists. I get up to grab abottle, fill it with milk and put it in the microwave. Once the microwavebeeps, I take it out and shake up a bit. I walk over to the living room andpick him up along with his blanket, he leans his head against my chest and Iopen the nursery door. I sit down in the chair next to his crib and I feed himthe bottle. He latches onto it and the silence is filled with little suckles. Iwatch him drink his bottle happily and he starts to fall asleep so I swiftlytake the bottle out of his mouth and open the package of pacis. I offer him oneand he latches onto the paci quickly and set him in his crib I cover him withhis dino blanket and quietly leave the nursery.