Chapter 18 (Steven) (Edited)

*****Edited by krisgee*****

 2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 18 (Steven) 

            We walked into her house holding hands.  She was as skittish as a cat and I squeezed her hand for reassurance.  Two seconds in the door and the family immediately descended on us like a hoard of vultures.  I saw her father first and then her mother.  They swept her away from me before I even had a chance to protest.  I placated my wolf by reassuring him that they only wanted to check on her welfare.  I would give them a few minutes with her and then she would be back in my arms, right where she belonged.  The most important fact was that she was safe.  I would have to deal with all the other shit involving Mama later.  Just thinking about that made my head ache.

            “Hey,” a gruff voice said pulling my attention towards the stairs.  I nodded my head acknowledging Zach as he stalked purposefully towards me.  He stood about two steps away and eyed me carefully.

            “You want to explain to me what the hell happened with my sister out there?”  His blue eyes were shimmering with anger.  I knew then that it didn’t matter what I had to say, I was going to be the one at fault.  I ran my fingers through my hair while shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

            “Look man,” I said.  “Why don’t we go somewhere we can sit and talk?”

            “No,” he snapped at me and took another step closer.  We were nose to nose and he was definitely invading my personal space.  “Tell me now,” he said with a menacing growl.

            “Fine,” I growled back at him.  “My family was exiled and slated for death from our old pack because of my dirt bag of a father.  He cheated on my mother and slept with the Alpha’s mate.  My mom took us away and we’ve been running ever since.  They found us and now the Alpha has changed his mind.  He wants my mother for his mate he claims, but more than likely she’ll be enslaved and treated like the pack whore.  They took Amy to persuade me to send my mother willingly. They threatened her life if I do not comply with their wishes.”

            After my spill I stood there quietly and never saw it coming.  Zach’s fist crashed into my temple snapping my head back violently against the wall.  I heard the resounding crack and thought, damn, that hurt like a bitch.  I felt the warm trickle of blood run down my face and then large hands clasp around my throat.

            “You stupid son of a bitch,” he sneered and I could feel his hot breath blow on my face.  “All this time she was in danger because of your family’s problems and you didn’t think to mention this to any one?  She could have been killed, you bastard.” 

            I knew he was right.  It was so stupid of me to think that I could take her as a mate right now with everything else going on.  I should have taken care of my problems before I got anywhere near her.  I felt my feet lift off the floor and fingers tighten against my throat.  I couldn’t fight back.  I didn’t want to fight back.  I deserved all of the damage that Zach could inflict upon me.  I endangered my mate and that made my heart sicker than anything else on this earth.

            I heard a ferocious growl and my eyes widened when I opened them to see the most beautiful blue grey wolf in the world.  She had her teeth bared and she was ready to attack her brother.

            “No,” I tried to croak out but it was barely audible with Zach’s hands clasped around my throat.

            Zach turned and by the look on his face he was shocked as well.  He never expected this, especially from his twin sister.  For a single moment in time everything was suspended and then in a wild haze of fury chaos broke out.