Ch 45 | Our Room

Y/N's POV:

You watch as Ji-Ho slowly walks down your staircase and into the basement where you, Sena, and Ana are sitting. Sena pulled up a wooden chair for him to sit in so now your two friends are sitting on either side of you, gently rubbing your back and holding your hand.

Ji-Ho doesn't say anything, he just calmly takes the seat across from you and stares wistfully into your eyes. You blink a couple of times, taking in the man before you. It looks like he might've left work and ran straight here since he's in a light blue button up that's tucked into tan slacks. After removing his thick chocolate winter coat and setting it over the seat back behind him, you watch him roll up his sleeves to his mid forearms.

He patiently waits for you to speak. Ana called him and asked him to come over to finally explain things, and he hesitated at first but you took her phone and practically begged him. You knew he wouldn't say no to you.

"Just start from the beginning please," you say quietly, focusing your eyes on his chest but you're looking right through him.

He leans forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "Are you sure you want to hear everything all at once?"

"It really can't get much worse than how I'm feeling now," you smile weakly, and Ji-Ho's stomach turns at the pain in your eyes.

"Okay," he sighs, leaning back in his seat. "I actually didn't find out you were arrested until my ex wife called."

You blink at him, waiting for him to continue.

"She told me to turn on the news. Your face was everywhere. I told her there's no way you did it and she just laughed."

Your shoulders relax slightly, hearing Ji-Ho say he always believed in you.

"Not to toot my own horn, but I'm one of the best defense attorneys in Seoul," he sighs, messing with the Rolex on his wrist. "I told her I'd clear your name and then she threatened to sue me for custody over Hyun."

Your shoulders tense back up but you're not super surprised. Hyun is the only thing you could think of as a viable reason for Ji-Ho to leave you behind.

"She said the court would definitely find you guilty, even with my skills. Then she proceeded to play the recording she took of me telling her I was going to date you seriously."

"She recorded that?" Ana scoffs. "Isn't that inadmissible in court anyways?"

"She wasn't going to use it in court, she was going to use it publicly," Ji-Ho frowns, looking down at his lap. "She said she'd make sure I was labeled as a monster and Hyun wouldn't be safe living with me, so I made a choice."

"You chose to protect Hyun over [Y/N]," Sena says quietly, but there's no anger or judgment in her tone. It's the choice any parent would have made.

"Then Seokjin's older brother showed up at my doorstep," he grimaces. "He assumed I hated you since I never showed up for you, and he started saying all this crazy shit about getting revenge and he wanted my help legally. I pretended like I was in on it and got you transferred at the last second."

"How did you almost lose your license?" Ana asks.

"I forged a few signatures," Ji-Ho admits, gripping the back of his neck. "I also got involved in bribery since I had to convince Judge Gwam with something. So I offered all my services for free. He's a disgusting guy and the shit I've had to cover up is grotesque."

Your shoulders slump and your eyes meet your lap. It's a good thing you're numb or your guilt about how you've treated Ji-Ho this whole time would swallow you whole.