Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

🧭

"You seem well read," the pale woman remarked from beside her, "Are you familiar with the Classics?" 

After meticulously organizing hundreds of book and dealing with Mariam's perfectionist tendencies the two women relaxed on the sofas in the library for a break.

"I believe I've read a bit of it," the tip of her tongue peeked out as she furrowed her brows, "Stories by Greek scholars, right?" 

"Some, yes," the corners of the woman's lips quirked up slightly, "Many of my favorite stories come from the Classics."

Y/N smiled, "What's your favorite story?"

Mariam chuckled and waved her hand, "I can not pick only one. They each hold a specific lesson." 

"Tell me one of your favorites then," the healer leaned closer, "I'm dying to know." 

"The Odyssey," the vampire's eyes darkened, "There are many lessons in the Odyssey. Vengence and loyalty to name a few." 

"I remember my mother talking about the Odyssey," Y/N remarked with a fond smile, "I never saw her without a book in her hand." 

"What's your favorite part?" 

Her eyes widened and she shook her head. "I have not read it. I only remember my mother talking about it," she furrowed her brows and idly played with her fingers, "I have always wanted to read it though." 

Mariam slowly nodded before standing up, "Let us get back to work."

The two women went back to the piles of books and each continued to sort them. The next few hours passed in comfortable silence with bits of small talk sprinkled in. 

"Daylight will break soon," Mariam placed the last book on the shelf, "We made good on time. All the books are placed where they should be." 

"Then I would say that today was a success," Y/N stretched and released a yawn, "I could use a another break." 

"Of course, " Mariam began walking to the large doors, "I have some documents to sign."

Y/N watched as the woman made her way to the door before stopping and turning to look at her over her shoulder. 

"Are you not coming?" 

The healer stood up from her reclined position, "What do you mean?" 

"Surely it would be boring to stay in this library by yourself," she commented with a hand on her hip. 

Y/N gave her a small smile, "It seems as if you want me to accompany you." 

"I did not say that." 

Y/N chuckled and stood up before walking over to the vampire with a sly grin, "You didn't have to." 

🧭

"Hector," Lenore sighed, "I can not stress enough how strange all of this is." 

The forgemaster and vampire were sat across from each other in the forge. Hector was idly examining a book, his fingers ghosting over indents and rips.

"I think you've stressed it quite a lot," he mindlessly scrutinized the cover of a book he picked up recently.

She rolled her eyes and rested her hand on her chin, "I. Am. Being serious. Carmilla has been acting strangely in the past days."  

He placed down the book, "What do you mean?"

"I don't know how to describe it," she sighed after a few moments of silence, "She moves as if a piece of her is missing. I've never seen her like this before." 

Talk about Carmilla was very common when Hector was in the company of Lenore. The Council of Sisters were enraptured with themselves, each other, and their want for control. 

"You vampires live on for centuries, eventually something is going to dampen your spirits," he said. 

Lenore groaned and hid her face in her arms, "I know, but I can not help but think something is amiss." 

He sighed and placed a hand on her arm, "Why don't you talk to her?"

Her face quickly rose from its position before an incredulous look decorated her face, "Talk to her?" she chuckled before slowly shaking her head. "Are we talking about the same Carmilla?"

"I don't see what could go wrong,"  he watched as the vampire tangled her fingers in his own, "The worst she can do is give you a chiding look before disappearing into her office." 

Hector didn't know why he was comforting Lenore, the same woman who took his freedom away. He hated the way his heart picked up in speed when she touched his hand and despite how cold she was, his chest swarmed with warmth.

At some point in their time together he had grown to like her, maybe a bit too much. 

Deep inside he knew that the attraction and favor he garnered for her were unhealthy but at this moment he didn't care.

He was simply happy to have a crumb of joy in his life after everything he had been through. 

And at the end of the day that didn't seem so bad.