Chapter 4

Alex's pov

"So are those girls you were talking about to at the Cafe earlier the mermaids that were in the Moon Pool with me when I fell in?" Zac asks when we get to the moon pool.

"No, umm, they're just my cousins to visit." I say.

"Really? You've never mentioned any family coming to visit." He says.

"That's because I didn't know that they were coming, my Mum and I didn't know, they said they wanted to surprise us." I say covering for Lyla, Nixie, and Serena.

"Really?" He says, obviously getting suspicious.

"Yeah, they kept it extremely secret!" I say.

"Alright." He sighs.

"Wanna race?" I ask him.

"To where?" He asks.

"Around the island twice then back here?" I suggest.

"Okay." He says.

"Ready, set, go!" I say before ducking under and speeding off.

He passes me when we pass the Moon Pool the first time, but I easily catch back up and pass him again. We circle back up and pass him again. We circle around a second time, and he'd barely in front of me, but I flick my tail one more time and make it in front of him into the Moon Pool.

"That wasn't fair! You cheated!" Zac says when we come up.

"Did not!" I argue.

"Did too!" He argues back.

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

Giggles sound. We look over to our left only to stop Lyla, Nixie, and Serena.

"You lied!" Zac says.

"Uhh." I trail off.

"I can't believe you!" He says before diving under and swimming off.

I groan and bury my head in my hands.

"Did we do something?" Serena asks.

"No, it was my fault. He asked if you were the ones in the Moon Pool when he fell in, but I said you were my cousins that surprised my Mum and me." I explained.

"Do you want us to talk to him?" Lyla asks.

"Would you?" I ask.

"Sure." Serena says.

"You should probably only have one of you talk to him. It'll probably just make him angry again if all three of you go." I say.

"I'll do it." Nixie says.

"Nixie, you'll just make things worse!" Serena says.

"It'll be fine! I promise! I'll go find him, explain why you lied, and convince him to come talk to you." Nixie states.

"Not a bad idea." Lyla says.

"Thank you!" I say. She nods and swims off.

Lyla, Serena, and I make small talk for a good hour maybe, before we see Zac swim into the Moon Pool.

"That's probably our cue to leave." Lyla says before her and Serena swim off.

"How come you didn't come get me yourself?" He asks when he surfaces.

"Because, I know you. You would've just walk away every time I said your name." I say.

"I get where you're coming from by lying, but why?" He asks.