Chapter 30: Among Us

3rd POV

Heading to Albedo's campsite, Yap and Eula confronted Albedo, the latter being more aggravated than the former.

Eula: Albedo, care to explain?

Albedo: (surprised) Explain?

Eula: When we came to stop you from leading Joel any further, your first reaction was to throw the child down and attack me. When we were fought back, you quickly fled. Care to explain?

Yap: (is controlling himself to not get mad) Albedo, Chief Alchemist of the Knights. As a captain among the Knights, you know that Mondstadt's citizens are under our safety, right?

Albedo: (nods) That is true.

Yap: Then why. Why were you there? Not only were you endangering Joel, but also nearly drawing your weapon against us.

Albedo: (softly sighs) Interesting..

Yap and Eula: "Interesting"?

Albedo: Eula, Yap, it sounds like you both met an impostor. Someone who was impersonating me.

Eula: Impersonating you...? To what end?

Albedo: It is difficult to draw a definitive conclusion for now. But these strange incidents do seem to be connected.

Yap: ... Then explain. (To Aether) Aether, were you with Albedo the whole time?

Aether nods, confirming Yap's question.

Yap: Good. Now, both of you. Tell me your version of what transpired earlier.

Paimon: Well, Albedo went into a cave and had us wait outside. While we're waiting, we gathered some Starsilver..

Yap: (Nods, signaling them to continue)

Eula looked at Yap, bewildered as to why he wants to hear the full story, including the details.

Paimon: And then, the impostor Albedo showed up. We then talked a while until we heard Bennett's cries for help. And when we went over to rescue Bennett, suddenly he's gone!

Bennett: Sorry guys.. It's my fault for not being careful enough.

Yap: (raises a hand) No need for that, Benny. Now there, Paimon. When you said you and Aether went to rescue Bennett, and suddenly he was gone, just like that?

Paimon: Yeah. We thought it was just him going back to the cave to find more clues, until the "real" Albedo came out and asked us.

Albedo: That's correct. When I came out, the first thing I saw was Traveler and Paimon were no longer where I told them to be.

Yap: .... [So the one we met earlier was the impostor...] (Looks at Albedo before continuing to think) [If it is the real Albedo, I'm sure he wouldn't have done so.] Albedo.

Albedo: Yes?

Yap: (Looks at Albedo with a serious look in his eye) Let's say if the kid was Klee and you're.. the impostor. Would you attempt to do the same as the Albedo me and Eula encountered?

That question shocked everyone, causing an uproar.

Paimon: There's no way Albedo would abandon Klee like that!

Amber: Paimon's right! Klee's still a child, which means she's innocent and has nothing to do with it!

Yap: Then why did he do that? Why did the impostor took Joel into the wastelands of Dragonspine? He knew that place is dangerous. Yet he still did it. Tell me, WHY.

Amber and Paimon both tried to answer Yap, but couldn't come up with one.

Albedo: Simple. Because he wanted to get rid of anything that will hinder his objective.