𝟎𝟐. 𝐉𝐨𝐛 𝐒𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

Start from the beginning

  "You're giving me a ride," she shrugged. "I presume you're going to look for a job at the mall, correct?"

  "Um - yeah," he nodded reluctantly.

  The town's Mayor, a man that Lorelei was almost 100% sure was corrupt named Kline had splurged enough money to build a large mall that stood out like a sore thumb. It was sure a feat, and the building did not match the rest of the town whatsoever, but still - it was fun to shop around, and the place had brought a lot of new jobs for teenagers like Lorelei and Steve that needed summer jobs.

  "The pool is in the same direction," she explained. "And even if it weren't, there is no way that I'm riding my bike in this heat."

  Steve opened his mouth to protest, but Lorelei had already made herself comfortable on the seat as she leaned back and began reading the job application flyer once more.

  He sighed under his breath, but still pulled the car out of the driveway with no more complaints. As usual, Lorelei reached over to turn on the radio, and "Neutron Dance" began playing as the car reversed and headed out of their street.

  She would mumble the song to herself every now and then, and whenever she did, Steve would sing along with her under his breath. His fingers would tap the wheel as her feet tapped on the floor, and halfway through the song, they could no longer contain their laughter as they sang together.

  If there was one thing Lorelei was happy about that morning, it was the fact that Steve had coincidentally been heading over to job hunt at the same time as she did. If it weren't for him, she would have been pedaling in the heat with no music to keep her company. 

  Maybe she wouldn't get the job like her father wanted her to. Maybe all the spots will have already been filled and she would be able to lounge about all summer as intended. After all, Lorelei was certain she deserved a small break before her senior year.

  Maybe summer wouldn't suck.

________________________

  "Congratulations," the boy interviewing her spoke, uninterested clear in his voice. "You got the job."

  Or maybe it would suck - very much.

  "What?" Lorelei grumbled, sinking back in her seat in defeat. "Are you sure? Don't you have to like - speak to your superior or something?"

  "Listen, we still needed one more lifeguard - and I doubt that anyone else would want this job," he shrugged, the gelled hair on his head not moving an inch as his head shook slightly. "Do you want it or not?"

  She clicked her tongue in annoyance. If she didn't take this shitty job, her father would be livid with her. "Yeah - I want it."

  "Great," he dragged the word out. "I'll have someone show you around and give you the uniform. Oh, and you need to take a picture - for our board with the whole crew."

  Lorelei rolled her eyes at the entire thing as she stood up and grabbed the flyer back from where she had placed it on the table. She thanked the boy with as much enthusiasm as he had shown her the entire interview and headed out the door to wait for this person that was presumably going to show her around.