𝟎𝟐. 𝐉𝐨𝐛 𝐒𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

Start from the beginning

  That bothered the shit out of her.

  "You're joking right?" She looked up at him with pleading eyes. "Please tell me you're joking."

  "You took swimming lessons back home when you were younger - for years," her father reasoned. "It would be the perfect job for you. Besides, you would get to lounge at the pool - and working hours aren't that bad."

  "That's because no one wants to spend more than two hours sitting in the sun and looking down at a billion screaming kids," she scoffed as she spoke. "Can't I just help you with work or something?"

  "I know you would make a terrific lawyer, kid." Her father chuckled as he spoke. "Arguing with people is sort of in your DNA. But you should go out and do something for yourself."

  He didn't allow her any more words before he darted out of her bedroom and shut the door behind her. It seemed as though this was one argument she was most certainly not going to win. So much for relaxing all the way through summer. That plan was certainly history.

  She groaned into her hands as he left the room and wiped the sleep from them. Lorelei already knew this was going to somewhat suck - but hey, maybe she wouldn't get the job and her father would just leave her alone about it; though she doubted that would happen.

  So Lorelei begrudgingly got out of bed and began getting dressed. A simple black tee and jean shorts were what composed her outfit of choice, and those were paired with her favorite sneakers. Her hair didn't need much work - and she wasn't about to spend hours on it like Steve most likely did. So she just put on a bit of makeup to ensure that the lack of sleep wasn't that evident before she was well on her way.

  As she stepped out of her house, the summer heat instantly made her wine to herself. If she got this job, she would surely melt on the very first minute of her shift. Lorelei had never been much a fan of the heat - she preferred wearing a bunch of layers over sweating like a pig. But it seemed like she was going to have to learn to deal with it.

  "Lor?" a voice called just as she was about to get onto her bicycle.

  She turned around to see Steve, who was standing near his car and looking back at her. He too seemed to still be sleeping inwardly as his eyes were slightly puffy with rest. 

  "What are you doing up so early on summer?" she asked with knitted brows.

  "My dad is making me search for a job - why else do you think I would be here?" he replied monotonously.

  "Well, it looks like we're having the same problem," she took the flyer from the pocket of her shorts and showed it to him. 

  Steve stifled a laugh as he read over to information on the page. "A lifeguard?" he raised his brows and smirked. "You know you have to parade around in a bathing suit all day, right?"

  "For your information, Harrington - I look amazing in a bathing suit," she shrugged confidently. "Besides, this was my dad's idea, not mine."

  He raised his hands in surrender, but the teasing grin was still etched on his face. "I won't judge - you know, I was a lifeguard once." he crossed his arms proudly.

  "Of course, you were," Lorelei rolled her eyes and pushed past him to get into the passenger seat of his car.

  "What's that supposed to mean?" he asked after her. "And what the hell are you doing in my car?"